clicking sound on the left palm rest

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patrickng89, Jun 13, 2010.

1. patrickng89 macrumors member

Everytime i hold the mbp up with just one hand, there would be this clicking sound. I think its near the left hand side of the palmrest. is it near the hard drive? is it of any concern?

Sorry if this has been asked before but i just got my mac a month ago and am a new Mac user

thanks

2. celticpride678

It's most likely coming from the right side.

This is the sudden motion sensor for the hard drive, locking into place because of movement.

This is normal.

3. sparker macrumors newbie

Just for clarity, I had the same type of sound coming from the left palm rest (just under the "Z" key. Apple tried replacing the hard drive (multiple times), the logic board, battery, blue tooth/wireless card, and screen over multiple trips, and finally just gave up after four trips and swapped the machine. No more clicking. I've never been happier that I buy AppleCare with every notebook I buy.

My clicking sounded like nail clippers, but would change in pitch and speed (length of time between clips). It was loud enough that one one call to AppleCare using Skype, the tech asked what the heck the background clicking noise was (glad he heard it, though, because that was the final step in Apple replacing my notebook)

So, the clicking can definitely come from something other than the hard drive, and when it does, it is definitely not normal...

Steve

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You said it happens when you hold the Mac with one hand...how are you holding it? Are you putting pressure on that side of the palm rest when you're holding it? Is it a constant clicking sound, or does it only happen when you put pressure on it?