Clicking/Ticking/Popping sound on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by November, Apr 2, 2008.

1. November macrumors regular

I was using it yesterday when I started to hear this clicking sound coming from the top right hand of the keyboard I think (though I could be wrong). The sound sounds like a clock ticking or more acurately like the sound your ipod nano makes when you are scrolling.

It was a constant ticking sound with paced intervals every 10 -30 seconds or so. This happened for about 3 hours and when I used it in the morning the noise went but later returned.

Help? :(

edit: It's the hard drive for sure.

2. zhivago1974 macrumors newbie

Constant Ticking on MBP

I am having the same problem. I just bought my MBP two weeks ago and this constant ticking (sounds like a clock) has been going on since the moment I opened the box. Even when I put the computer on mute it still sounds. I've checked everywhere to determine what might be causing this, but I have come to no conclusions. It makes this sound regardless if it's plugged in or running on a battery.

If someone has some insight - I would love to have this feature turned off. It's like a constant dripping faucet and you don't know where the faucet is!!!

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Try going to System Preferences > Energy Saver > [uncheck put hard disks to sleep whenever possible]

4. MacBain macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. "uncheck put harddisk to sleep" makes no difference. It still clicks and pops once every 9-20 seconds (not very loud though). It has done this ever since I got it last summer. Sometimes I think I feel lag, when it sounds, but maybe its just my imagination.:confused:

5. zhivago1974 macrumors newbie

Still Clicking

No luck - it still clicks. Mine doesn't seem like it would be the hard drive - but I am a new mac user, so who the heck knows. I may have to take it in just to figure out what this is.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can always take it to the store to get it checked out. I know I visited the store at least 3 times the first week.