ClickToFlash/ClickToPlugin - Are these useful anymore?

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Been wondering about this, now that Safari on Mavericks comes with the Power Saver "option" that replaces flash videos until you click on it, is ClickToFlash/ClickToPlugin useful anymore? What do they do that the new Safari Power Saver doesn't?

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
The one thing that I'm aware of that ClickToFlash does thats better is that you can play YouTube videos using QuickTime.

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
Absolutely still useful.

Not only can I view YouTube in H.264, it gives me options to download.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Absolutely still useful.

Not only can I view YouTube in H.264, it gives me options to download.
Also, set preload (or not), autoplay (or not), preset volume level for the media player, and control lists for which sites can use plugins without having to click (whitelists and blacklists). There are more, but those are just some features I use in ClickToPlugin.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Also, the power saver option in safari for Mavericks only disables flash that might not be what you were intending to look at (e.g. ads at the side of the webpage etc.). Clicktoflash and clicktoplugin disables all flash until you click it so it'll definitely be more power saving than the default one in Mavericks ;)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Also, set preload (or not), autoplay (or not), preset volume level for the media player, and control lists for which sites can use plugins without having to click (whitelists and blacklists). There are more, but those are just some features I use in ClickToPlugin.
Does click to flash give you the same option?

Are both safe? Can you provide a link to Click to plugin?

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
The *best* thing about this extension is the built-in AirPlay functionality. Send the video to the AppleTV straight from desktop Safari. I love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.