ClicktoFlash HTML5 Cache location

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by epic-retouching, Apr 8, 2014.

1. epic-retouching macrumors member

Does anyone know where clicktoflash safari extension stores cache for the html5 player? It is not in /library/caches because I have that on an external and each time I play an html5 youtube video (using clicktoflash flash conversion) it it downloading to my OS (SSD) drive. Also the cache on external capacity used stays the same so I know it is not going to where it should in theory.

Any thoughts? Would like to use the HTML5 player to get rid of youtube ads but don't want to cache to my SSD write cycles

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about this. It's not something even an intensive user will run into for years and years of heavy write cycles.

Enjoy your SSD, no need to baby it. Do make sure Trim is on if the drive calls for it, and keep your % of the drive used away from the 85-90+% range and you're golden.

3. epic-retouching thread starter macrumors member

yah I was just reading about SSDs and realise I am babying it too much. I have this app called DriveDX and it says my SSD health is at 91% and the computer is 14 months old. All good I guess! Thanks for your reply.

Attached Files:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I noticed your other thread with a similar SSD life question. Like smithery said, don't sweat it. Even at the ~20GB a day writes you mentioned the NAND cells in that drive will be running long after you have moved on to a new Mac.

Take a look at this and this. Have a beer... relax. :D

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Nice app - downloaded and tried out, nice to be able to confirm the SSD, which I've used pretty heavily - is still very much in the green range.

Again, don't completely fill your SSD, give the wear-leveling process room to operate. Yes, drives are under provisioned (there's more NAND than you see) but might as well keep on the safe side.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thread jack! :D

I was looking at that app also out of curiosity, and from the description it sounds like there is a background process or daemon of some sort that runs all the time even if the app is not launched to monitor the drive (something I don't want). Can you look in Activity Monitor and tell me if you see anything related to the app running when the main app is not running?

7. epic-retouching thread starter macrumors member

no process active while out of the app. confirmed by deleting everything to do with it after launching and closing. everything went without a hassle. However I almost don't want this app on my computer because it will tempt me to open it and start babying stuff again haha

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Nothing that's obvious... (editorial comment - man there are a crapton of processes now!)

Edited to add - this is a nice app to run once and then really not use again, especially on the SSD side.

9. epic-retouching thread starter macrumors member

yup good enough to just use trial for 10 days then that is it

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I think I will take a look at the trial.

Just more curious about what it can tell me more than any interest in ongoing monitoring.

11. epic-retouching thread starter macrumors member

curious to see your stats too

PS. if you have external drives plugged in the trial won't work with them so just unplug during the app

12. epic-retouching thread starter macrumors member

what % is yours at and how long have you owned it?

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here you go. Eight month old Macbook Air.

Makes me suspicious about the accuracy of this when both of ours report exactly 91% lifespan left. That would be quite a coincidence?

[​IMG]

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

DriveDX gets its data from the SMART data of the drive.

15. epic-retouching thread starter macrumors member

it has the same number of cycles too (191).. Suspiciouss.... Might write to the company on this. REFUND!!!!

16. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

3 years or so, 98%...