ClickToFlash not showing quicktime option on YouTube

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Longey Nowze, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Longey Nowze macrumors regular

It works with vimeo though.... is anyone having this problem? I have 1.6b9

It just shows the flash version with no option to play the quicktime video...

2. jason221 macrumors 6502

As of today, YouTube is blocking the ability to download the 360p version of videos. 480p and above still work (720p isn't flash).

It really sucks because I used to download 360p videos from YouTube to play on my iBook G4, which can't handle anything above 360p.

3. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

really? why are they doing that?

do you how can I let Click2Flash play the quicktime format?

4. jason221 macrumors 6502

I don't know why, but they are. The only way you can play Quicktime format is by playing the video in 720p.

I've never used ClickToFlash, but there are plugins on every major browser that let you download YouTube videos. Here is the link to the plugin page. If you use Chrome, you don't have to install anything extra. If you use Firefox, you'll have to install another plugin called GreaseMonkey first. If you use Safari 5 and have extensions enabled, I recommend using this extension.

5. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Can you still use Clicktoflash to "view fullscreen in quicktime player" for HD (720p) videos? Even if I use the "&hd=1" extension (for videos that are in HD) I can't get clicktoflash to work.

I loved the functionality of playing HD videos in quicktime player, it significantly reduced heat and improved performance and made the experience overall more enjoyable.

6. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

well I am on a first gen macbook air 720p I don't think it will handle it very well...

7. jason221 macrumors 6502

Well, I've never used a MacBook Air, but if it is using an Intel processor then it should be fine when using with QuickTime. My iBook G4 can't play 720p, but it was made in 2005 so you should have better luck.

8. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

I live in a hot environment I have no A/C and temperatures inside get over 30ºC so the MBA does get really hot, is there away to use the non-flash version of youtube with clicktoflash? when I take my MBA to work or in winter it doesn't get as hot though.

9. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Well i was recently having a problem with MacTubes, but since then they released an update that fixed it. MacTubes plays youtube from your desktop without needing to open the browser. Best part is you can set it to play ALL Videos in Quicktime or HTML5(Video Player). You could also go to Youtube.com/HTML5 and join the beta - but few videos actually play in html5 which makes MacTubes better as it force plays videos in HMTL5 and Quicktime.

Also, adding &fmt=18 to the end of the video url plays it in a higher quality Quicktime format, which gets rid of the choppiness should you experience that (I'm on PPC) and the video is overall better but it still uses Flash Player.

10. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

Wow, I just ran into this problem. The latest stable version is 1.5.5. Did Google change something within the last several days or so? This is incredibly annoying because I always use the advanced load features and of course the QT functionality.

11. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

wait wait, over 30 degrees celsius? that's perfectly functionable....

it's when things get up to 80+ that you will need help, no?

12. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

the room is 30 degrees celsius, the computer on normal use goes to the high 50s and does hit 70+ when playing flash with the fans at 6200 rpm.

just so you know outside in the middle of the night around 1-2 am the thermometer in my car reads low to mid 40s.

13. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

14. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

LOL...

seriously though I tried different thing like changing the resolution on the flash version, reenabling C2F, all fruitless.

I think it's just a youtube problem, cuz C2F still works on other sites like vimeo.

15. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

This really sucks because now I'm going to have to go out of my way and install another app or extension to load videos in h.264 and download them.

Edit: Just by looking around for some sort of solution, I found this announcement by the developer of A Cleaner YouTube. So maybe the problem is on YouTube's end.

Edit 2: Just found this little extension that will download all resolutions with no hiccups. In the meantime, I just enabled the html5 beta from YouTube until CTF can get this settled out.

Attached Files: