Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Hello everyone, i will get my first Mac, a 15" MBP in 2-3 weeks hopefully. I am very excited about it and i am researching literally everything. One thin i found is clicktoflash plug-in for Safari. If you don't know about it it is on http://www.clicktoflash.com I want to ask you, does this really make dramatic improvements on performance and battery life?

I mean there are flash banners in some sites we visit and if we block them with this plug-in, and use flash whenever we want. Our MBP will use less battery, making it last longer and also it will stay on integrated GFX card. Which is another + for battery.

Any possible con i can think of is the plug-in not working properly. If it works just fast and flawlessly it can be one of the best things ever happened to Mac. Any opinions welcomed.

sincerely.

rosas

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
I've been using click to flash for the past 3 weeks It's been working flawlessly.

regarding battery life I think it depends on which websites you visit... but i bet it doesn't make much change.... At least I haven't noticed anything that great...

PS: if you use youtube, may I suggest you activate HTML5? for me it was one of the greatest improvements in speed and processor usage. to do that check youtube.com/html5

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
It definitely works very well. I've used it for the past two months. I have not noticed any gains in battery life, however.

But performance wise, my computer definitely feels snappier without flash running all the time. On youtube for example, combined with the HTML5 option, you get to watch videos without your cpu being ramped up all the time. It does this by directing you to either HTML5 or to the H.264 version of the video so that you can watch it with Quicktime (or at least something that looks like quicktime). You can also activate flash just as easily with a single click so you get the best of both worlds.

I definitely recommend this software!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.