Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
YouTube videos embedded in non-YouTube pages won’t play for me. (I could swear they did when I first installed the ClickToFlash extension.) I must have some setting wrong.

Under HTML5 Settings, everything is checked. Initial behavior: Start Buffering. YouTube is not whitelisted.

It’s not just that YouTube hasn’t posted the MP4 yet: even old videos fail; and if I go to the YouTube site, the MP4 versions DO play, automatically and painlessly, in ClickToFlash. (I don’t have YouTube set to HTML5.)

Embedded videos do show the preview image, in the QuickTime black UI, and then when I mouse to the top-left corner, I see all the ClickToFlash format options, with 360p MP4 selected. I try different formate, MP4 and FLV alike, but none will play.

(The Flash option will play, but... my poor fans! I want to stop having to load the Flash version when YouTube has a good MP4 version I could be using.)

Thanks in advance for any tips!

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Update: non-Flash embedded YouTube will play in Leopard... but not in Snow Leopard. I think I’ve toggled every setting, and all I get in Snow Leopard is a “Loading...” under the video. and no sign of life in the Activity window.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I use ClickToFlash and haven't changed the settings, YouTube plays fine for me. I have Snow Leopard.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
I use ClickToFlash and haven't changed the settings, YouTube plays fine for me. I have Snow Leopard.

Sounds promising! But YouTube itself has always been fine for me. Are you sure you can you play embedded YouTube as non-Flash?

(I know some embedded YoutTube videos, especially newly-added ones awaiting processing, are Flash-only at first. But for me, even older ones won’t play embedded unless I load the Flash Player. Which, actually, the neweset ClickToFlash does automatically. But I don’t want the Flash version, I want the HTML5. Which works in Leopard strangely enough.)

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Haven't had a problem playing any videos at all.

Excellent. And you’re sure it’s not the Flash version you’re seeing when the video is embedded? That does work for me, and now Flash is what ClickToFlash is giving me by default for some reason (for embedding only). I wish I could get HTML5 going though.

(And everything works for me on the YouTube site itself. It’s just embedding that is weird for some reason. Maybe I need so have some uninstall/reinstall fun.)

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
For example, if I go here I see "H.264" instead of "Flash" and can click on the H.264 and load the media in a non-flash player.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Very helpful—many thanks. I’ll use that as a known example page, and mess with things until that page works!

OK: for posterity... if it just won’t give you HTML5, uninstall ClickToFlash and download it again (from Safari Extensions Gallery). I had to do so twice. Maybe some lingering remnants of old versions were causing trouble?

All options work now, and embedded YouTube is Flash-free :)

Last edited:

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Ya I got mine from the Safari Extensions Gallery. Good to know your back working good again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.