ClickToFlash - Safari/Flash advert blocker - absolutely wonderful

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleMatt, Mar 17, 2009.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I get really irritated when I'm trying to read news sites and my eye is distracted by things bouncing around in adverts. It's even worse when they're playing obnoxious sounds until you click the mute button in them.

Therefore I just thought I'd let people know about this wonderful piece of software. I've seen it mentioned a few times here but even if this thread only helps a few people I think it'll be worth it:
    http://github.com/rentzsch/clicktoflash/tree/master

Not only does it hide these horrific insults to humanity (ok a bit strong perhaps), it actually prevents them loading, therefore your pages load quicker! And it's completely unobtrusive! If you want to watch flash file, simply click on in. Bliss.

Now I just need to find out how to add news.bbc.co.uk to the whitelist and I'm singing.

AppleMatt

Attached Files:

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

You're late to the party AppleMatt ;)

Have a beer :)

To add to the whitelist, just right-click on a Flash video and click "Add news.bbc.co.uk to Whitelist".

3. SamNeeds macrumors regular

4. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Oh dear, so I am! Well thanks for the beer (and whitelist tip) :).

Hopefully someone still benefits from this, I'll come off looking better then.

AppleMatt

5. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Can someone tell me how to install this thing after you download the TAR file? I see no instructions on how to install on their site or in the package. :mad: And yes I am pretty new to Mac, ( a windows switcher).

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

There should be an installer inside the unzipped folder. If there isn't and instead there's a tonne of files, you've probably downloaded the source code.

7. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

SO where do you download the application?

8. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Scroll down the page a bit more. There should be a list of version numbers with download links next to them.

9. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

OH, I see, I clicked the the Download button. Thanks.

10. Jisuo macrumors 6502

11. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Yep, I was instructed there was an update after install, I am running Safari 4 beta on OS 10.5.6 and it works for me.

12. SlimJim2 macrumors newbie

ClickToFlash

Hi, I'm new to this Forum and have downloaded the ClickToFlash plug-in for Safari. I'm running Safari 4 Beta and have downloaded the plug-in, but cannot find out how to get it installed. I opened the Zip file and can review the list of items included in the opened file, but nowhere can I find anything labeled "installer", or anything similar. Some further help and guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks...Jim