"ClicktoFlash" Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ibis99, May 27, 2012.

1. ibis99 macrumors regular

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It used to be great back a year or two ago... It blocked all Flash, and you could just click on the blocked Flash icon to see it, and right click to add it to your "Allowed" list.

Unfortunately, the new version appears to have 10000000 settings and wants to substitute your Youtube Flash with a poorly implemented HTML5 player. If it was simple, it would be great. Now, however, it's kinda difficult to use, and not worth the time. I use AdBlocker, as it covers most unwanted Flash and also unwanted everything else. Facebook Cleaner (It has a red icon) solves any Facebook problems.

3. scott.n macrumors 6502

4. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

The ClickToFlash extension is amazing, and I wish it was available for Chrome. I love the options, and I don't find it hard to use at all. The HTML5 player is much better than having to deal with Flash.

5. the-doctor macrumors newbie

I use clicktoflash at all times on my MacBook Air, while the HTML5 youtube player can be a bit limiting it does work fine, and it's better than having flash which runs the fans at all times.

6. Speedyparker87, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

Speedyparker87 macrumors member

Yeah, I used to use the extension and like w00t951 now just rely on Adblock.

Once you whitelist the flash sites you visit, it's a pretty nice tool.

My favorite and least favorite features related to YouTube. You lose a lot of the features and functionality of the version of the YouTube player that comes default. Also, I love to pinch to zoom my videos and with the extension on, it definitely lags more when zooming.

The nice thing is though, if you right click the videos you have options to download as an mp4 or Airplay it. I loved that! For day to day use though, I usually leave it off now.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Did you ever look?
    Flashblock is pretty much the same thing. There are even a couple more that are similar. Opera has it built in.

8. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

ClicktoFlash extension, Adblock, and Coolbook have made my Air infinitely more useable. Basically doubled battery life and lowered heat considerably.

Sometimes I have to go into Safari preferences and disable the extensions to watch certain sites (abc.com comes to mind). That is literally the only drawback.

9. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I agree, I still use it but I'd much prefer if it was a simple extension that just blocked flash and didn't try to do everything else.

10. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

Flashblock is what I used first, and no it is far from being the same thing. Flashblock only does click-to-show. The ClickToFlash Safari extension takes it many, many steps further with Flash-to-HTML5 replacement, Perian support, and several very useful options.

Chrome has a click-to-show feature for plugins (like Flashblock and Opera), and that is what I must settle for in Chrome. For a very long time, the ClickToFlash extension alone kept me using Safari.