Clicky hard-drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by taylor200588, May 15, 2009.

1. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

Hey

I've got a one and a half year old macbook, just the other day whilst normal use the hard drive started to randomly clicking then whatever program I was using froze so I did a hard reboot. so this has happened a couple of times. Now tonight he refuses to turn on and whilst attempting to boot up the hard drive just makes clicking noises.

Has my hard drive passed away?!?

If so is there way of getting my stuff off it? and 2. where will I get a good new hard drive ?!?

Thank You

Craig

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Definitely sounds dead. If you don't already have a backup, here's what I would do.

Buy a new HD. Install HD in your Macbook.Install your OS (Tiger/Leopard...whatever) onto the new hard drive. Buy an external enclosure (USB 2.0 or FW400, whichever) and set your old HD up in that enclosure. Connect the newly external drive to your laptop and try to read it. If it can be read, get everything you need off as quickly as possible.

3. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

Cheers for your reply! you've just confirmed my nightmare :(

altho i have an update. last week i installed windows 7 on my mac and its been working fine. ive just tried booting up in seven and it works perfect!! i rebooted in leopard and the clicky noise is still there but it dosnt effect seven?!?!

i would have thot if the entire hard drive was fooked that nothing would be able to boot up!!

so right now im typing on my dead macbook via windows! how poop is that

is there any way i can access my leopard files through windows on bootcamp so i can back them up??

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Sounds like something went wrong with the the Mac's equivalent of the Master Boot Record, the GUID I believe it's called. You may be able to rescue it by booting off your Leopard DVD and running Disk Repair and Repair Permissions. I'd try that before calling the drive dead.

As far as accessing your Mac files from Windows, Windows can't read HFS+ natively, but this program should allow you to do it: http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html It runs in a Java environment, but if the Mac partition is so borked that it can't be recovered through repair, it should do the trick.

5. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

DUDE!!

if you were standing right here infront of me i would be kissing your face off

I FIXED IT!!

i did exactly what you said and did that disk repair permissions thing and it worked!!

thank you sooooooooooooooo much!!!

xoxo

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If it simply wasn't booting up, I wouldn't jump to assuming it's a hardware issue.

However, if you weren't jumping to conclusions or making up the clicking - if you actually heard the drive clicking, a sound that it never made when simply attempting to read files, then there is a hardware issue. If the drive isn't dead yet, it's dying, and will be dead soon.

8. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

9. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

10. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I like your plan to still replace the drive. Don't delay! It's very likely you've got a temporary reprieve and that your drive will die for good soon. Keep your backup up-to-date and don't trust anything really important to that HD.
    Good luck.

11. taylor200588 thread starter macrumors regular

taylor200588

Hey

Today I've just went and purchased this from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001CO3EKQ/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

I hope that this will work in my macbook

The other day the clicking came back and it wont boot up in OSX however I have no problem booting up in 7 which is extreamly strange

Ive done a time machine back up to an external hard drive but will that back up all the 7 partition part of the hard drive too or just OSX ?

Im so scared, I've never replaced a hard drive before and I hope I dont muck it up haha

Craig