Clicky sound when picking up the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eksplosions, Jul 4, 2009.

1. eksplosions macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I just got this brand new 15" MBP, had it for about a week now. She's a beaut. Also, considering I take more care with this than I have with any gadget in my life makes me very paranoid. Alas, my "issue." If I pick up it up while it's running, and I usually do so by the right side, I hear a brief click-like sound. Since, to my knowledge, both the superdrive and the hdd share the right side of the computer, I can't quite isolate the sound to either of those. I'm just wondering if anyone experienced this/if it's normal/what is it. I have apple care and all, but I mean, if there's a problem already... FML, right?

Thanks guys, and I'm glad to finally be a part of the Mac world =]

2. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I experience this little clicking sound too. It usually occurs when I close the lid and then lift the laptop to place it into my sleeve. I'll hear a slight clicking noise, but then it goes away. I'm not sure what it is.

Edit: I just lifted my UMBP and tilted it to the left and heard it again.

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Welcome to the Mac world,

Macs are fun, a lot of the same threads are not. The click like sound, once again, is the SMS being triggered which stops your hard drive. The computer thinks that you're about to drop it and stops the hard drive to prevent damage.

4. eksplosions thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohhhhhhhh! Thanks spaceboots! And I'm sorry about the duplicate thread, honest I searched but the search parameters were a bit vague I suppose and I didn't find anything relevant. But thank you, I really appreciate it! It's a feature, not a bug =]

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Sorry for being blunt sounding but there are so many of these threads! My earlier uMB 13" had an over sensitive one so it would literally click when it was in my lap barley moving. It's not a bad thing at all. Applications like LiquidMac take advantage of it, check it out.

http://uri.cat/software/LiquidMac/

There's also a tunnel racing game on that same website which uses the motion sensor.

6. eksplosions thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha that's pretty cool! I knew this feature was in the systems but I guess it didn't come to mind or maybe before I figured it wouldn't make the sounds you know? Oh well, now I know! Thanks again big guy.