Clicky trackpad and gestures/features

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mike Richardson, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Mike Richardson macrumors newbie

Mike Richardson

The circle effect on my avatar is non-consensual
    Is the MacBook Air 13" the only Apple laptop with an actual clicky trackpad in it?

I don't like the other trackpads. (I don't like the home button on the iPhone 7 either.)

It also seems that on all of the trackpads, MBA 13" included, inevitably I have to disable nearly all of the gestures, and the "secondary click with two fingers", because I will indadvertedly cause something to occur, that I did not want to occur, which is immensely frustrating because it gets in the way of whatever I am trying to do.

I noticed this immediately on a MacBook Pro 13".

However, on my personal MBA 13" the inadvertent right clicks/gestures seemed to get worse with age.

I don't recall having any problems with the two fingers right click on my old 2007-ish MacBook Pro.

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Starting with the 2015 MacBook Pro, Apple moved to the force touch trackpad which doesn't actually move, but has a motor that simulates movement through vibration. You are correct in that the only currently sold MacBook that still has a moving trackpad is the 13 inch MBA.

It was a little hard to adjust to at first but after I adjusted the sensitivity of the clicks, I much prefer it over the old design.

If you want a MacBook Pro without force touch, you'll have to buy a second hand 2014 or older model.

3. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I personally also don't like it but I also hated the homebutton on the iPhone7 at first and now I much prefer it to the old one. So I guess one will get just used to it on the trackpad too.

4. Mike Richardson thread starter macrumors newbie

Mike Richardson

The circle effect on my avatar is non-consensual
    What about the gestures then? It seems like inevitably I have to disable almost all of the gestures, because they begin to activate indadvertedly (the worst offender being the "secondary click with two fingers" which is the one I use the most).

On the MBA, it started out OK, but I noticed that it got worse over time. But I also remember a setting, with the original Lion OS, something like "Disregard accidental trackpad input", and I think I had that on - but then that option went away since at least 10.9.

On a brand new 2015 13" MacBook Pro I noticed immediately the right click/secondary click being activated, within 5 minutes of use, and I had to disable it temporarily (while using that particular laptop).

5. Swisspo macrumors regular

Swisspo

I won't lie.. I forget all of the time that my '16 MBP even has Force Touch.. Shows how much I actually use it on this machine lol.