Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FriedPotatoes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
So today, I was showing my client a draft version of the long awaited project I've been working on with my recently purchased unibody macbook. He was making a few points, then *smack* and pokes at my screen:eek: It wasn't really hard, but I am pissed. Does anyone know what material macbook screen is made of? It is easily scratchable? And does the above action kill the screen in a short/long run? Is there any way I can check for possible damage?

Doesn't look like any damage from my untrained eye, but I might be wrong:confused:

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Its glass covering the screen!?
If he didnt break the glass I would assume your ok

My mom does this all the time. On my old dell you could see the colors going all 'trippy' cause she was pressing so hard. I always would tell her YOU DONT NEED TO TOUCH MY SCREEN!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Unless he cracks the glass, there isn't going to be any damage with the new MacBooks with that glass front.

Sort of a shield for the people that poke screens.

Before, you'd be able to massage the screen and play with the electronic surface -- but not any more.

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2008
He poked it...with his finger?

It is made of glass. I doubt it caused any damage. That must of been an emotional poke for you to be worried about damage. :D

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
So today, I was showing my client a draft version of the long awaited project I've been working on with my recently purchased unibody macbook. He was making a few points, then *smack* and pokes at my screen:eek: It wasn't really hard, but I am pissed. Does anyone know what material macbook screen is made of? It is easily scratchable? And does the above action kill the screen in a short/long run? Is there any way I can check for possible damage?

Doesn't look like any damage from my untrained eye, but I might be wrong:confused:

is yours a unibody? if so, then you have the glass cover to protect it.

If not, then i'd say hopefully your client doesn't have too long of fingernails. My screen has been poked a couple times. any nothing has come of it.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
An epic Doctor Q production just for historical and nostalgic purposes. Different tone in the forums then, perhaps.

Just yesterday I demonstrating something (twice) to QA folk here at work, and each time one of them dragged a big greasy finger across not only my external monitor, but my MBP's screen. It took great restraint not to scream "DON'T TOUCH MY SCREENS!"

When they were gone I dug out that microfiber cloth that comes with the MBPs and scrubbed them down.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Same thing we said before in the previous poked my screen.

Lick two fingers and poke their glasses.

They'll have to run and clean smudges off their glasses, while you wipe the smudges off your Mac.

Or if that doesn't work, roll up a newspaper and smack them in the nose while forcing them to smell the dirty fingerprints they left on the screen. Bad doggy ...

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
I say to my kids "It's not a touch screen............so don't touch the screen !!!!"

I hate fingermarks on the screen..........at least with the glass covering cleaning is easier.......

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008

I don't even know what to say, other than I think you may have blown this a touch out of proportion. (Yes, pun intended)

Crash1234

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
If you can't see any damage and you're looking closely for it that must mean there is no damage. But ugh, i hate screen pokers. My dad is like this, idk, can't seem to help himself. I won't let him get anywhere near my electronics anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.