client will not leave me alone, runs IE- spry menu issues

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by galapogosgill, May 20, 2009.

1. galapogosgill macrumors newbie

ok folks, go to

http://www.sabidobasteris.com

the spry drop down menus work like a charm in safari and FF. but my client in mexico is complaining that the menu does not work AT ALL on his PC. $%#$%ing IE!!! I checked on my old IE browser which I haven't used in about 5 years and sure enough notta.

So I have been trying to find a fix for it, thinking first it was a CSS problem, but to no avail!

I am using CS3. and if anyone has a solution to this problem, it will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you are running parallels/PC, check it on your IE and lemme know if it is completely bonkers. I have no PC!

But I just ordered a mac pro/ACD LCD!!!! - with Parallel's and XP. ugh

thanks again and go nuts on this thread
    :cool:
    JG

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I didn't go through it all but one property you use in the CSS for the Spry for the background-color, rgba(...), is not supported in IE. That's likely the biggest problem.

3. galapogosgill thread starter macrumors newbie

I got rid of rgba. oh crap i have to download IE for my MBA to cross check it. agg.

any better way to cross check browsers?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There are sites such as BrowserShots that can render what it looks like in each browser. You might want to check the stickies for other sites like this. Some of them have gotten fairly busy so you have to wait a bit for the results.

5. galapogosgill thread starter macrumors newbie

trying it now, but it is not a positioning problem, but a dropdown menu which does not work on IE. still unsure if the changes i made to the CSS worked

6. galapogosgill thread starter macrumors newbie

installing IE5 onto my MBA gives me the creeps

7. galapogosgill thread starter macrumors newbie

after installing, it asked me if I wanted IE to be my default browser. HA

8. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Internet Explorer for Mac is a completely different product than the Windows version.

You'd be better off installing Windows on your laptop or an external HD with Internet Explorer 7 or 8. If you're developing web sites for clients there's really no way around it.

9. galapogosgill thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i am going to install XP- should i run vista???? on my imac at home. I am not sure about bootcamp, do i need to partition the hard drive? meaning do i need to back everything up and erase the whole HD? then do a clean install. Or can i get around having to erase the whole disk. irregardless this will be a huge headache i am sure

damn you IE... they should eradicate you

10. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

(It's not just for IE, other browsers such as Safari have slight rendering differences between platforms, too.)

Vista or XP doesn't really matter, it's whatever you prefer. Install IE 8 and then you can dowload a Virtual PC (free) disk image with IE 7 from the Microsoft site to test in IE 7. I wouldn't bother with IE 6 anymore.

One possibility that I totally forgot to mention is that you can buy Parallels or VMware Fusion (my choice) and run Windows in a… window :p without ever leaving Mac OS X.

11. lisaw macrumors newbie

I also run VMWare Fusion on my MBP and my imac - though I cringe every time I have to fire up IE, it's the best way to see real results. I tried Parallels but wasn't happy with the performance. VMWare works perfectly.