Clingo Car Mount

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gloss, Aug 3, 2010.

1. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hey guys. I picked up one of these Clingo in-car mounts to replace a 9-month old Kensington iPhone mount that fell apart. I couldn't really find any decent reviews online, apart from a couple of diametrically opposed user opinions on Amazon, so I thought I would bite the bullet and report back here for your edification. My desk is a bit too much of a mess to do a photo shoot at the moment, but I'll be sure to get some pictures of it mounted in my car later.

It's a pretty compact piece of hardware. Comes with a suction-cup mount, an adhesive disk to stick to your dash if you'd like to mount it there, and that's about it. The arm is fairly sturdy-feeling plastic, with a solid ball joint on the end where the Clingo material is to allow you to turn the device any way you like. It's got enough friction to stay put. I've suctioned it here to my desk (which has a tempered glass top) and it works nicely. The Clingo pad itself sticks firmly to my iP4 in an Incipio Feather case. I don't see it falling off on its own. Removal is a bit of a two-handed operation, as you need to grab the mount head with one hand and peel the device off with the other. I can see this being a potential issue if you need to remove the phone to answer a call, but if you've got a hands-free device or otherwise don't care, it shouldn't be a problem.

This Clingo stuff sticks like glue, but leaves no residue on the phone (though it did leave a faint patch of discoloration on my Feather. At this point I'd probably guess that it's actually removing oils and dust from the surface of the case, cuz the spot where the mount attached looks surprisingly clean.)

The pad sticks slightly less powerfully to the naked iPhone, though plenty enough to keep it mounted. An informal but fairly violent shake test (over my bed) failed to budge the unshod device, so unless you're in the habit of getting into car accidents on a regular basis I see it being a pretty safe bet, even without a case. The company does say, however, that the pad will not stick to silicone or heavily-textured cases, so YMMV.

The case cost me $30 including shipping ordering from DayDeal.com (via Amazon). It shipped from California on July 30 via USPS and arrived at my door in Northern Virginia this afternoon. No complaints there.

Let me know if you guys have any questions and I'll be glad to answer if I can.

Attached Files:

2. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

3. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Can you flip it around and have it facing out the windshield for video? Or could the camera see around it while sitting normally and shoot video?

4. owmygulay macrumors member

It looks pretty cool. Can you get pics of the phone on it?

5. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

I'll take some pictures here soon, been busy today. Sorry.

6. kalt macrumors regular

I got one of these for my car, and also got the Clingo universal desk stand - I love them both. FWIW I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air (white) with my iPhone 4S, and it sticks wonderfully to the Clingo pads.

I've only had them for a week or so, so I have not yet reached the point where I need to wash the sticky surface to renew the stick, which is supposedly done with a little water and a lint-free cloth every few weeks (depending on use). I assume over time it will lose its stickiness and will need to be cleaned. Hopefully doing so does truly renew it to its superb initial state of stickiness as claimed. If so, then it's a truly wonderful product.

If you read the fine print, it says the iPhone 4/4S uses silicone in the oleophobic coating so there is reduced stick to a naked iPhone. But pretty much everyone uses a case of some sort, so that's not an issue for most people, but be aware of it.

Note: if you have any sort of Zagg-style protector on the back of your iphone, do not stick it to the clingo as it will pull it right off - it is very sticky.

7. TrulyYuki macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

We sell them in my store. I hate them. I thought they were cool at first nice idea. But everyone we've used for demo ends up failing us. I have chosen the mobilemount that will be out shortly.