Clipboard Manager

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smilingkyle529, Oct 5, 2010.

1. smilingkyle529 macrumors newbie

I have been searching online for a few days now for a clipboard manager that can handle shortcuts/abbreviations. I do a lot of copy and pasting frequently used templates into forms for work and right now, it's not working the way I want it to.

Currently, I use "Clips" as a solution. It works great... sometimes. I have submitted a ticket twice about my problem and no one seems to get back to me. What happens is that I will type my abbreviation and then it will either paste what I want in place of it, or not. If it doesn't, I have to restart "Clips" to get it to work again. Driving me insane when it stops multiple times during my sessions of filling out forms. I have about 5 phrases that I keep saved with an abbreviation as a shortcut.

Does anyone know an alternative solution?

Thanks
    -Kyle

2. seer macrumors member

But if Google and the iclip website is telling me the truth, iClip is no longer available for download? Sure you can find a download for it which works for X number of times and then needs to be registered (which I am guessing is no longer possible even if you are willing to pay 30 bucks for a clipboard manager!

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I was also a fan of iClip and continued to use it in Snow Leopard for a while, but even with the hacks to make it work, often times, the previews never showed up.

I have since switched to using iClipboard. It's very similar. The one thing that iClip did and iClipboard doesn't do is allow itself to be placed at the bottom edge of the screen which was my preference. But at least it works without hacks and previews show up properly.

4. smilingkyle529 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but searching google for clipboard managers brought me straight to that site my first time. I'm one who searches tediously until I find an answer. If I don't find one, I post in a forum.

I didn't try iClip because it wasn't available. I'll try that other forum post and see if it helps!

*EDIT

Okay I just tried iClips and it is pretty nice. I'm still missing being able to do abbreviations though. I don't like clipboards that use hotkeys because I never know what I should set my hotkeys and/or I feel like I can type faster than reaching for hotkeys that are far from each other. I'll continue to search, but so far abbreviations is my favorite thing to use.

5. seer macrumors member

Thanks for the link. I have seen that same article before and ended up using clips. But despite all of its flashiness I actually havent used it for weeks as it just doesnt fit with my workflow and is far too cumbersome and heavy.

I think I will try the two free options (ClipMenu and Jumpcut) and see how they are.