Clipboard Managers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Syndacate, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Syndacate macrumors regular

Hey,

Anybody got any suggestions on clipboard managers? I'm not sure if it was my search criteria or what, but I couldn't find much in the macrumors forum here.

I'm just looking for a basic clipboard manager, it doesn't need full integration with everything, just a task bar icon to retrieve past copies, and standard integration into apple + C without overriding it.

Klipper or Glipper (if you've ever used Gnome or KDE) is a good example of what I'm looking for, text and file path support.

I saw one post when searching on google that was like "10 clipboard managers for OS X" - so obviously there's a lot of possibilities, I was wondering if there's a consensus on one over the others? Only other requirement that I have is that it's freeware.

Thanks in advance.

2. str1f3 macrumors 68000

3. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

4. celticpride678

I use an application called ClipMenu. It sits in your menu bar and works perfectly and simply. You should try it.

5. str1f3 macrumors 68000

There really is no agreement on this. It's like which view you like better for Finder and iTunes. It's about what is better for your needs. If you're better at recognizing things visually, there are apps for that. If you're better at words, then there's an app for that (I know it sounds like an iPhone commercial). There are enough that are of good quality that you can pick one that suits you.

For me, I choose Launchbar, even though it's main function is not a clipboard manager.

6. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I get what you're point is about preference.

It's just usually with this type of stuff there's like one thing somebody'll mention first and then people will like, thumbup it 5x and that'll be that.

I didn't realize it was that sparsed.

Can I ask why you prefer that to Clipper, JumpCut, or Clyppan? They all seem to have the same basic functionality.

[hr]

I'm trying out Clyppan now, but am quite dissatisfied, I haven't really used it, but some keys haven't been responding to my clicks since I've launched it (enter, space, and apple + H) - and it appears to be completely random 'n such. Ie. I couldn't hide adium, quit it, restarted it, hit apple + H and it hid no problem. I couldn't go into rename mode (and I'm sure finder was active) on a folder, opened the Clyppan menu , closed it, clicked the folder again and hit enter, and it went into rename mode no problem.

So due to these "glitches" I'm not too thrilled about it.

At first I was looking for something with extreme basic functionality such as Clipper, as I use Glipper and Klipper a lot in linux, but I didn't realize there was such a wide range of clipboard managers for OS X. I have 10.5.7 btw.

So as I'm not too thrilled with Clyppan, I'll probably remove it tomorrow.

Does anybody have any preferences/input about Clipper, JumpCut, or ClipMenu? They all seem to have the same textual basic functionality I'm looking for, I'm just wondering if anybody has any experiences (good or bad) with any of them, or some nice features or something.

Thanks for the responses, and thanks in advance if more are to come.

7. celticpride678

ClipMenu is the best I have tried. It can have pictures and text too. It sits in your menu bar (and is out of the way). When you need it, just go up to the icon, find your history date and select what you want to copy into your clipboard. It is really easy, customizable and I use it everyday without any problems.

8. Syndacate thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, I am going to try that now. You're the second person in this thread to suggest it.

Thanks for the responses thus far and any more are most certainly welcome.

:)