Clips on the Speck See Thru Satin and MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Mar 29, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Hello. Considering to get a Speck case for my MBP 17". I read that it is very difficult to remove the Speck case from the MBP. During the installation and removal, do the clips scratch the surface of the MBP easily? Do the clips on the See Thru Satin break as easily as the See Thru's? Thanks.

2. Macman45, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I must be honest, I have the Speck clear candy shells on my MBA and my MBP. Same clips. I took the shell off the Air at the weekend, and that was no problem....Easy to remove and clean, then replace.

I can't get the bottom part off the MBP....I'm afraid I will either break the clips, or as you say, scratch my Pro in the process...There must be an easy way, it went on fine. Fortunately it's not dirty but I would still like to remove and clean it. Someone will now... (I hope)

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. I think I read somewhere that it is easier to get the SeeThru Satin case off than the SeeThru case. Any experience on this?

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No matter how careful one is, the clips are prone to break when removing this shell. It's a design issue. Built to a price, you can't have everything. Fashion has it's drawbacks. Minor scratches during removal are the norm. A new replacement shell will tend to hide them.

Me? I prefer to use my MBP as Apple designed it to be used. Just as it came out of the box. Why hide it's good looks with a cheap piece of plastic.

5. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Hi! So here's the deal: the clips will absolutely not scratch your MacBook Pro, but over time, they may break. I've broken one clip off, and another is soon to come off. It's a great case, but sometimes when taking it off to clean underneath (which you should do regularly- I do it once a week) the clips may begin to experience stress over time and one time they might break. THe good news is that Speck has a great one year warranty, so if the clips break, just pay for shipping back to them, and they'll send you a new one. Best of luck.

6. Cliff3 macrumors 68000

Cliff3

I have had both the See Thru Satin and the regular See Thru Speck cases on my MBP. Neither case has scratched the finish of my laptop in any way. I have not had any problems with breaking clips as I am reasonably careful and patient when I remove it for occasional cleaning.

The soft touch finish of the satin case wore off in spots after 18 months of use and I replaced it with a clear See Thru case.

7. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

There is a knack to this....both top and bottom shells. Lift the clips on ONE side gently. Once you have them free, the casing removes very easily...No drama, no screwdrivers or other potentially damaging tools.

Same for the top, although take care with the clip at the top of the screen.

Just did mine both, no dirt to speak of either so they do a good job. What you can see is scratching on the outside of the shells themselves....Where it's protecting the Mac.

Worth the money for sure.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

For both the top and bottom shells, is there any particular order of lifting that could lead to the easiest removal and the least risk of scratching the MBP?

For putting the top and bottom shells on the MBP, we don't really need to pay much attention compared with removing. Am I right?

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

it fits very tight, like it is supposed to do, so yes it is hard to remove. However, I have never had my MBP take any damage from it, and while I used it I took it off once a week to clean out the inside of it and my MBP.

10. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Do you mean one could see ugly spots on the case or it is just a feel when you touched the case? I plan to buy a colorful one.

11. Cliff3 macrumors 68000

Cliff3

It's a coating applied to the hard plastic and it wore through in spots, so the case developed some shiny spots. IIRC the coating is clear or translucent and not colored. Since the idea is to have the wear on the protective case and not the laptop itself, replacing the case every year or so when it starts to look a little ratty is no big deal.

12. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Your right about putting them back....no order they go back easily. To remove them, I started with the clips on the top cover, left hand side. Once I had one free the other was easy, and when that releases, the other side just lifts off.

The bottom of the MBP I started where the optical drive bay is, same thing loosened one side, and off it came. Like I said, be careful with the clip at the top of the screen, it's the only worry for me now....No dirt at all, just like brand new so they do the job well.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s)

As above. Easy to remove. Just do the left or right side and it'll come off with no damage to the mbp.

14. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for sharing the technique. Let me reconfirm:

To remove the top cover, remove the side clip closest to the "About Mac". I guess once it is off, we could remove the rest in either clockwise or counter-clockwise direction.

As for the bottom cover, remove the one closest to the optical drive bay. i.e. nearest (behind?) the power button. Then, we could remove the rest in either clockwise or counter-clockwise direction.

Right?

15. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

As has been mentioned, I can't imagine ever scratching your Mac while putting on or removing the Speck case. It's simply not hard enough to scratch the aluminum. The clips are prone to breaking, however.

jW

16. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Pretty much yes...boiled down to basics....loosen one side first, and the rest just lifts off....just take care with the top clip on the screen...I reckon that's the only way you could do damage at all.

17. SlugBlanket, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

SlugBlanket macrumors regular

I'm speaking from personal experience and I have to disagree. The Speck case will not mark your Mac in normal use or when installing or removing it. Nor will the clips break as a matter of course. There is no "design issue". Like every other product of it's kind you just need to be careful. You are making assumptions here in support of your own preferences and prejudices. People still know it's a Mac and it still looks good. I decided to go for the clear Speck case sold by Apple themselves. I guess they don't agree with your opinion that it hides a Mac's good looks either.

We had to return our first MBP after less than a week as it had a faulty Superdrive. When packing it up I noticed that the base of the Mac had a lot of surface discolouration where it had been continually brushed against my wife's lap when in normal use (she doesn't sit at a desk). That convinced me to buy the Speck case and we are very happy with it. It both allows those good looks to be seen AND preserves them.

As for any minor scratches, there is a special blue mico-fibre cloth used by Apple Tech Support here in the UK that is effective at removing minor "scratches". I accidentally scratched my brother's MBA with my wedding ring one evening; it left a 1" surface scratch/mark right next to the trackpad which appeared darker than the usual matt finish. I was mortified. A quick spray and wipe and the scratch/mark was gone. I would not have believed it unless I had seen it myself. I believe it's sold under the iKlear brand name NOT the TechLink branded cloth which is currently sold by Apple. Obviously it won't remove any gouges but for any mark that might be a result of removing a cover such as the Speck, they might benefit from it. I wasn't aware of this product at the time that I returned our first mac btw.

Several have posted their methods for removing the bottom section and I have to agree. The key is to remove the two clips at the rear first. I have done this several times and I have not marked our MBP.

EDIT: I have the updated Speck case (bought last August from Apple) that doesn't obstruct the power cable. Earlier versions did obstruct the cable in reverse orientation which meant that you could not at the same time use the network cable. It is perhaps this earlier model that may have been prone to breaking since it had much less give in that corner.

18. cariocap macrumors member

there is a video at Speck site in the SeeThru SATIN for MacBook Pro page in the FAQ section that shows how to install/remove the case

I have one and it's easy to install/remove without scratches.

19. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Anybody else has the issue Cliff3 mentioned?

20. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I've had my case for around 5 months and mine is just starting to show wear marks. The soft touch finish is wearing off in some places, the places of most traffic. These include the edges a little, and the place where you put your finger to open up the computer from it's clamshell position. It's not bad, and when you go on Speck's website, they have an 1 year warranty which does not cover "regular wear", but when I sent them an email a while back, they said just to send it back to them and they would send me a new one, although your situation may be different. I think that since they're a relatively small company, their service is pretty good. If you're worried about the matte coating coming off, I would just buy a clear case instead. Anyway, best of luck, and enjoy!

21. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I don't worry about marks on the case itself....That's why it's there. Sooner the Speck got marked than my MBP or MBA...:)

22. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

The problem is that I am not living in the US right now. I could buy a new one with the cost of sending it back and forth. I think I am in love with the Terracotta color. It can only be bought in the US. Locally, for the 17", I can only find the black Satin or the clear one.

23. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

FWIW I have the clear shells on both, I prefer them, they allow you to see the alloy of the Macs whilst protecting them at the same time. Also, scratches on the clear shells don't show much either.

24. Cliff3 macrumors 68000

Cliff3

I have had both and currently have the clear. The clear scuffs more easily, while the finish on the satin eventually wears off in spots. I think the clear case might be slightly thicker than the satin case, but I didn't throw a caliper on both to quantify that statement. My next Speck case for whatever machine I buy this summer to replace my current one will likely be another satin case. But the choice of which one is purely personal preference and both have done an excellent job of protecting my laptop which should show well and sell for a decent price once it has been replaced.

Back to the OP: either way, the point of the case is to take the wear and tear that would otherwise be absorbed by the laptop and is intended to be somewhat disposable. They are not so expensive that you need to invest much thought to the decision.

25. hajime thread starter macrumors 601