Clock forgets the time

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tuartboy, Jun 29, 2007.

1. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I have had my 2.66 MP for about 2 months now and it has started to forget the time upon reboot. It seems to just randomly pick some time about 4-8 hours in the past and I have to open the date and time settings to reset it. As soon as I open the preference pane it picks up the time server and fixes itself, but it is still very annoying.

I once heard that the clock can start to go wrong if the battery inside the mac starts to die. I don't know if this holds true with the new MPs. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

First thing I was going to suggest was a "CMOS Battery" or whatever they call them in MP's. Open it up and see if you can see any little disc shaped flat batteries in there.

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Normally this happens to me when using bootcamp. Selecting the setting to automatically set your date and time and you should be fine.

4. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Yep, I get this after booting into Windows, it's a known problem

5. tuartboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Hmm... Seems like a problem that they could easily fix.

I had Vista Ultimate running on here since I bought the machine and just downgraded to XP a couple weeks back. It never did this with Vista so it must be an XP thing.

(BTW, Vista is a joke. I was afraid to do anything for fear it would be DRM'ed. :p Not like I do anything real in Windows anyway...)

Thanks for the input.

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Phew, I was going to post about this.

I boot into Windows once in a while so that may have messed it up a little bit.