Clock Freezing in menubar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kurisub, Oct 29, 2007.

1. kurisub macrumors newbie

Has anyone else had their clock freeze up on them in Leopard? It's only happened twice, and I'm not sure what triggered it (my guess would be coming back from a screensaver or from sleep) but the clock will be stuck on a certain time, if I mouseover it, I get the beachball. All other aspects of the OS and programs run fine while this is happening. I noticed iCal was still giving the date of the frozen time the clock was display when closed, but displayed the right date when i opened iCal.

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

this happens to me frequently as well. even after the 10.5.1 update. at first i thought it was related to the DVD player because it always seemed to happen after i watched a movie. i'm working in iMovie right now and it happened again. :confused:
    thread on apple discussions - others are having this issue: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5877367

3. kafene macrumors newbie

Hmmm... seems I'm not the only one. I guess that's a good thing because misery loves company :eek: I was "Googling" around to see if others have the same problem under Leopard, and it seems they do. I'm hoping for a quick OS update to fix it. Would hate to wait for Bobcat for something.

kafene.

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I've had the clock freeze once... but I've had systemuiserver (the program where the clock resides) freeze lots of times in Tiger, so I don't know if it's a new bug. What is new, though, is that systemuiserver in Leopard does not automatically restart when it crashes, which is annoying.

5. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Do you happen to have an iPod plugged in?

I used to have an iPod that would cause this kind of lock-up occasionally. I wasn't sure the problem was with the iPod itself, or with the cable/dock. When I would remove the iPod, the system would become responsive again.

6. kurisub thread starter macrumors newbie

iPod freezing clock

yep that did it! I'm guessing when I "ejected" my iPod that froze the clock. As soon as I took it out of the dock, the clock sprung to life!

7. nsb3000 macrumors 6502

nsb3000

I just wanted to add that this worked for me as well. As soon as I unpluged my third gen ipod the clock started working again. This does not happen with my iphone...

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

How bizarre. Just got this problem (got it before too, just decided to google for solution and hit this thread). Removing iPod unfroze the clock plus other menu items. third-gen ipod leopard 10.5.7, so bug still there

9. vetpath macrumors newbie

Clock freezes in Lion

Ive just had the same problem. Havent noticed a pattern yet, but its frustrating. Ive had some sluggish performance when this happens.