Clock Setting Warning Upon Switching on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mickyfin, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Have any of you guys had this warning pop up when you fire up your MBP?

[​IMG]

The above is false information as my clock, date, and everything is set correctly.

2. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

I've had it like 4 times this week! Never before then...happens because I'm on the laptop a lot these days, and when it runs out of power and in the morning turn on the laptop, I get that same message.... Would also like to know why, as it's f'ed with my scheduling plans which is not ideal ;)

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You may need to replace the PRAM battery, it's a small battery that gives enough power for the computer to remember the time and date when it is off.

4. Mickyfin thread starter macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Really? Thanks, I can do that, however, I'm surprised it needs replacing so early on as my MBP is just under a year old.

Will see if it does it again next time I power on.

Thanks again!

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If it's less that a year old that is weird that it would do that, but you do still have a warranty, so I'd recommend taking it in to apple and they should fix it free for you under the warranty, plus if there is another problem they would find and fix it.

6. Mickyfin thread starter macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Thanks again, agreed, its odd being so new so to speak. Seems a lot of trouble taking it in for repair when its a 2 minute replacement I can do myself. Will my warranty be void if I replace the pcb battery? Or does this come under maintenance like cleaning the fans, and leaving warranty in place.?

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you are careful and make sure they can't tell you did anything, then it shouldn't void your warranty, but I'm not completely sure what voids a warranty and what doesn't, so I generally avoid doing anything beyond a RAM or HD upgrade while the computer is under warranty.

8. Mickyfin thread starter macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Okey dokie, I will take a look next time I blow out the dust from my fans.