Clone 2009 Mini to 2009 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Big Wendell, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Big Wendell macrumors newbie

Big Wendell

As the title suggests, I have a clone of my 2009 Mini which I recently sold and I'm wondering if I can clone that clone to a 1TB HD and pop it into a 2009 MBP. The Mini clone is fully up to date running Mountain Lion, as is the MBP. Hardware is pretty much identical (Mini was and MBP is 2.26 C2D, 8GB RAM). The Mini clone has been tested as a boot drive for this MBP. Thanks!

2. MacUser2525, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

OSX does not care about the hardware you run it on as you have seen with the test boot of the clone. You are good to go just boot your recovery partition on the MBP then use disk utility to restore from the external to the internal partitions. Oops reread the question same idea for the new drive you need to boot recovery partition then restore from the clone to new HD and put it in the MBP. Oh and you may want to use Carbon Copy Cloner it will give you the option to put recovery partition on new hard drive that disk utility does not do with a restore.

Edit: Another idea is booting with your install media if you have any go though install once it completes during setup of it you have option to migrate an existing install. So if you have your clone drive connected powered on during that step it will copy everything over for you at that time. This way it gives you recovery partition on the new hard drive in your machine you installed onto.