Clone First Generation Apple TV Hard Hrive

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jblagden, Nov 2, 2013.

1. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

How can I clone my first generation Apple TV hard drive to a new 500 gigabyte hard drive so I can upgrade my Apple TV's hard drive from 40 gigabytes to 500 gigabytes?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

1st gen Apple TV has only PATA connection. AFAIK, the largest PATA drive that you can buy, is 320GB.
    The instructions available on the net under category "Upgrade Apple TV Hard drive" did work for me without problems.

3. jblagden thread starter macrumors 65816

jblagden

The Interface is not a Problem For Me

I bought a SATA to PATA adapter to solve the interface problem. I cloned the drive and the Apple TV booted perfectly from the new one. My only problem is enlarging the media partition, which is the whole point of me upgrading the hard drive. I used Disk Utility, but I couldn't enlarge that partition. But now I don't need to use the old Apple TV because I finally got a new projector which has HDMI, so now I can use my newer Apple TV.

By the way, I had my first generation Apple TV connected to my projector with composite cables and I used HDMI to DVI and DVI to VGA adapters to trick the Apple TV into using color over composite cables.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'd pull the drive back out, connect it back to your computer and reformat it again. Clone the data from the old drive to the new one using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. This shouldn't screw with the partitions if done the correct way. What is the method you are using for the clone? If that doesn't work, it might be a limitation of the PATA connector.

Another option might just be wipe the drive clean and stick it back in the Apple TV. From what I heard, it should (I don't know for certain as I have never used a 1st Gen Apple TV) pop up with an error and require you to redownload the firmware. Then you can just start as fresh.