Clone from Late 2012 iMac to 2012 Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LCD, Dec 29, 2012.

1. LCD macrumors member

Can I use a clone I took with Carbon Copy Cloner of the drive in a late 2012 iMac and copy it to the drive in a 2012 Mac Mini? I believe I read in this forum that the new iMacs run a special version of OS X 10.8.2. I fear that this software will be incompatible with the Mini.

I feel bad for Apple but 1 dead pixel is causing me to think about returning a replacement $2150 iMac I received on Dec 26 with an otherwise perfect screen for a $1500 Mac Mini. The first iMac I got was one of the first BTO, order confirmed at 3AM EST Mon Nov 30, shipped from Shanghai on December 4. It had a 1/16th" diameter blotch visible on white backgrounds within a large, slightly distorted area, as well as one dead pixel. It also had Sleep issues that the firmware updater released on Dec 17 might have fixed.

When I used the first iMac's Migration Assistant at its initial start-up with a TimeMachine backup, a lot of support files for Logic and GarageBand would not transfer, including complete JamPacks. It took me a lot of time and some luck to get the music applications to work fully. But I couldn't do it with the replacement iMac, even after applying the same fix that worked on the first iMac. So I used a clone and CCC to move the first iMac's drive to the replacement iMac

2. LCD, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

LCD thread starter macrumors member

Yes.

About OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update for 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012), Mac mini (Late 2012): This update is recommended for all 13” MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012) and Mac mini (Late 2012) systems. It includes all features and updates from OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 plus system-specific enhancements and fixes for Late 2012 systems.

The yes came from an Apple tech but now I'm not sure if he was right. From Apple Discussions post @ https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3045 -"You CAN'T clone a OS X boot partition/drive to a different model of Mac, but you can use Migration Assistant on a clone to a new machine".