clone hardrive video question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by perlsyntax, Apr 4, 2015.

1. perlsyntax macrumors 6502

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'd use Carbon Copy Cloner - its a simple but powerful app that can clone your drive.

3. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

+1

https://bombich.com/features

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Another vote for Carbon Copy Cloner. Worth every penny.

5. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

CCC is the best!

+1

Count me in for the Carbon Copy Cloner camp!

Best euro 34 ever spend on software. Saved my bacon a lot of times, after updated or even clean installs I had to fall back on my CCC external and BOOTABLE clone on eSATA HDD. :cool:

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

6. perlsyntax thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow after look at it i was thinking be a good idea a lot of tools:)

7. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Very excellent software. They offer an EDU discount, if that applies to you. Worth every penny.

8. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

For all those using CCC I have a question.

When you want to make an exact copy of your drive, does CCC save your launchpad folder layout. I.E. you organize your Apps. into Folders grouped by category.

I tried CCC but was put off when the resulting clone didn't keep everything organized as intended. Did I do something wrong, or is it just a characteristic of CCC to just dump all Apps. into Launchpad and throw out the folders?

I finally used the DU from booting to the restore utilities and it worked perfectly. It let me move to a smaller drive and retained everything perfectly (which was my goal). DU and CCC were the only tools I could find that would let me move to a smaller drive.

9. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I have the latest version of CCC and yes, it makes an excact 1:1 clone! When I boot of my CCC external eSATA HHD, it's as if I'm working of my DUO x2 SSD, only slower performance!

10. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I guess I didn't use it properly. It was the trial version. Had it performed as desired I would have made the purchase. The only time I clone is generally when deploying a new drive, but not many applications can handle full disk cloning to a smaller drive. I discovered that DU does this quite well, but it's pretty slow. I'll have another look at CCC the next time I need to do this again.

11. m4v3r1ck, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

It has a set of fully automated series of backups:

[​IMG]

1. Every hour the first CCC (incremental) sequence to external HDD enclosure is made
    2. Then it automatically switches to each of the next incremental backup internal/external etc etc

[​IMG]

So it manages 4 incremental backup sequences each hour. The last backup sequence manages my MAC_RAID0 internal HDD to an external Synology DS1812+ (DSM 5.1 5022 update 4) for my photo and video backups.

Very happy and a no brainer backup solution! :cool:

Cheers and do have a closer look at Carbon Copy Cloner!