Clone HD or migration assistant?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by eyeangle, Feb 25, 2014.

1. eyeangle macrumors member

eyeangle

Just bought a second hand MacPro5,1 (Mid 2010) with no hard drives.

I was thinking of just cloning my 2008 iMac (Mavericks) drive using carbon copy cloner straight onto the new SSD going into the macpro.

But then I thought installing an OS might if it adds the right firmware needed for the macpro 3.33GHz processor and motherboard (if this even has to happen??, just a guess) other than using the copy drive right from the iMac.

I was going to install Snow Leopard onto the new SSD, then upgrade to Mavericks, then use Migration Assistant.

Will it make a difference going about it this way or should I just do it the simple way with ccc?

I'm trying to avoid a Mavericks USB installer because I don't think apple intended that to happen or if it's even legal...

Are there any negatives to using CCC from my 2008 iMac hd, I've done it before and it's so simple and I could just clone my mavericks straight across to the new ssd without have to install snow leopard...install it...download 5GB Mavericks...and install that.

I'm going to get the samsung ssd evo and apparently Trim Enabler will help it.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

In this case, I think CCC is fine. No downsides I'm aware of, and there shouldn't be anything in terms of hardware support that's missing from your current OS X install that I can think of.