Clone HD to SSD with FileVault 2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahan.tm, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ahan.tm macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've ordered a large SSD for my non-retina MBP. I have Filevault 2 enabled, and was wondering if I could just make a clone using Disk Utility in the Recovery Partition? Would this work? I literally mean, plug in the drive, format it, then clone it straight. Will this disturb anything with Filevault? I've done this with non-filevault machines and they work perfectly.

Also, can I use TRIM support with filevault 2?

Thanks,
    ahan.tm

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You won't be able to clone with DU from recovery because the FV2 partition will be locked down.

But you can clone while logged in. Just start your machine normally and login then put the SSD in an external enclosure. Then just follow the steps on this video to erase the SSD and clone from HDD to SSD with DU. after the clone install the SSD and start it up then go to System Prefs and in the Startup Disk pane set the SSD as the boot drive. Done! :)

Yes, TRIM will work fine with FV2.

3. nigameash, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

nigameash macrumors 6502

I've tried that cloning a FV2 drive in disk utility in recovery mode. You need to unlock the FV2 drive in disk utility to mount it and can clone the drive after. You will need to re-enable FV2 from system preferences after booting the new drive.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If I'm not mistaken, CarbonCopyCloner has instructions on how to use CCC to clone a bootable drive and protect it with Filevault...

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy to your new SSD. Then encrypt the new SSD after boot.

You don't even need to decrypt your HDD to do this.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use CCC on my rMBP which has FV2 enabled. I'd recommend this course of action as well :)