Clone iMac disk for use with 2008 MP w/8800GT

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stiang, Feb 11, 2008.

1. stiang macrumors newbie

I have an Intel iMac with a 250GB HD which I was planning on cloning to one of the disks in my new Mac Pro 2008 with the 8800GT (due to arrive thursday), so that I wouldn't have to set up everything from scratch.

But it just occured to me that the new MPs probably have a slightly different version of Leopard which adds support for the 8800GT. Forum posts from people who have received this combination confirms that they have a different build number.

So, I guess that means my plan to use SuperDuper to simply clone the disk is out? Any suggestions for a plan of action?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to need to wait until 10.5.2 to clone from an iMac running Leopard. Only the special build that ships with the Mac Pros has the right drivers right now.

3. stiang thread starter macrumors newbie

I was afraid of that. Well, unless 10.5.2 comes out by Thursday, I'm looking at a full reinstall. No way I'm going to let the new MP stand idle on my desk for days :)

4. GotPro macrumors 6502

Plus, you'll get MUCH better performance out of a new install than a cloned disk! :) Stuff creeps in there after a while :)

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10.5.2 is out today. I'd take a gander at the video drivers before cloning.

6. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Why don't you just use the migration assistant? It'll keep all your user and network settings and move over your files.