Clone iMac to MBP, from TM backup. Best method?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Riquez, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Riquez macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a new iMac (OS 10.8x) in the office which is used for processing shipments (print labels, invoices etc)
    The iMac has Parallels & Win7 on it because its required to also run FedEx software for label printing.
    The iMac is backed up using Time Machine.

I would like to clone this iMac onto a MacBook Pro (2.66 15" Core2Duo) so that if anything were to happen to the iMac, I can simply connect the MBP & continue working.

The MBP currently has 10.6 clean install.

What is the best way to go about duplicating the entire iMac onto the MBP, including parallels & Win7?
    Should I upgrade the MBP to 10.8 first?

Thanks for your advice

2. Bear macrumors G3

Clean install 10.8 and when it asks if you import data, use the Time Machine backup. After this is done, you will want to change the name of the MBP in System Preferences->Sharing.

Note you will probably have license issues with both Parallels and Windows. Also your data on the MBP will be as of when you imported the backup.

3. Riquez thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Have you ever witnesses a "privileges" error?

I keep a regular TM backup, but one day I "entered Time Machine" to get an old file and I couldn't access anything past my my most current backup because I didn't have permission to access that file.

I managed to select every file and force a change in permissions, but it took a long freakin' time and now my trust in TM for a real emergency is greatly lessened.