Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoryTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I know there are Sim cloners out there... I also know that the 'micro sim' is a regular sim in a smaller package, so theoretically that is possible.. But any theories on whether the iPad will take your iPhone's cloned SIM? I *might* be interested in the iPad [it's mostly a dissappointing larger iTouch to me] but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay AT&T even more money than my already-overpriced cell service.

I'm not super-knowledgeable in the SIM world.. any theories?

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
No. You wouldn't be able to use both devices simultaneously, as only one copy of a phone number can be connected to the cellular network at a time. Also, AT&T will know you are doing it, in the same way they know if you use an iPhone without a data contract.

CoryTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I actually meant one-at-a time.. I would happily switch my SIM back and forth, but seeing as they're different form factors, that would not be possible.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I actually meant one-at-a time.. I would happily switch my SIM back and forth, but seeing as they're different form factors, that would not be possible.

even if it WERE possible, you would need the ipad data plan from ATT in order to have it activated. this isn't the same concept as putting a sim card from one phone to another phone.

koollectablz

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to cut your existing sim to size and pop in in the iPad and then just make yourself a template to keep in the iphone sim tray to put the cut to micro size sim back in.

All it needs is some thin plastic and a nice sharp knife.

CoryTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
even if it WERE possible, you would need the ipad data plan from ATT in order to have it activated. this isn't the same concept as putting a sim card from one phone to another phone.

This is not necessarily the case. SIM cards theoretically carry their own activation. That's why when you unlock an iPhone, you can just put in a TMO SIM and it "just works" That's a "theoretical" advantage of SIMs/GSM technology. Don't know how that works on other AT&T phones, or for DATA on AT&T, as I only switched to this god-awful provider for the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.