Clone iPhones (Border Patrols)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pmcdn, Mar 14, 2017.

1. pmcdn macrumors regular

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If it's an iPhone 5/5C or earlier, then yes. NAND mirroring to allow infinite passcode attempts is one of the ways they unlocked the phone in the San Bernardino trial.

However with the iPhone 5S or later, this isn't possible due to the Secure Enclave. Of course nothing is technically unhackable, but as of yet there isn't a documented way around this.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

its a moot point, if you use touch-id. People cannot be compelled to give their passcode, no such protections are afforded with your thumb print.

If security/privacy is of high import, then I recommend avoiding touch-id

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'd disagree about saying Touch ID is a negative for security and privacy. 5 failed attempts would disable Touch ID. You can just use a different finger for these 5 attempts. Granted, most people gravitate to using their thumb by default, but it's still an option. A power cycle or 48 hours since last unlock would also disable it.

I would like to see Apple implement an "emergency finger" option in newer iterations of iOS. Wherein if you unlock with a certain finger, it will disable future chances to use Touch ID until you enter your passcode.

But people not being compelled to give their passcode? Certainly not without coercion, but a lead pipe to the knees would have most people questioning if it's really worth holding out on that information. Ultimately if you're in a situation where you're face to face with a baddie and they're going to use your thumbprint to unlock your phone, you've got a lot more to worry about.

And if you're just worrying about border agents, a simple restart before approaching them would solve the Touch ID issue.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you misunderstood my point. The police cannot force you to divulge your passcode, but they can force you to use your thumb.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Point taken :D

7. HEK Suspended

HEK

Just turn phone off as you approach a imigration stop. Need passcode first time they turn back on. Print won't work first time.