Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
I have used super duper in the past to install a new drive in the same machine but I was curious. I am going to upgrade to a new macbook pro from my current whitebook. I have an external drive with a clone of my hard drive from the whitebook. If I were to clone this information to the new macbook pro would there be any issues with software drivers/updates etc.? I would assume there would be an issue with the multitouch trackpad support if I clone seeing as the macbook clone doesn't have this support built in? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys
:):apple:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Yes, my understanding is you wouldn't want to restore a clone to a different machine like that

What you can do though, is use Migration Assistant to pull everything over from the clone

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Technically, you will not have any problems migrating using the cloning procedure. Keep in mind though that the OS version of your old machine is officially supported on the new one as well, as it might have newer components. Mac OSX is quite versatile in that respect that it doesn't perform specific installations of drivers for each different machine. There is a one-serves-all approach within.

That said, for reason of performance you are probably better off using Mac OSX's own migration options (Time Machine restore for example etc). You will end up with a cleaner installation resulting in better performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.