Clone my MBP harddrive to my new MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dcains, Jul 12, 2008.

1. dcains macrumors regular

Hi Group:

I've had my 15" 2.33GHz MBP for a little over a year, but use it as a desktop because it's too large to carry around. So, I just ordered a base model 2.1GHz MB for traveling. Can I clone my MBP harddrive to the new MB? It would sure be easier than manually changing all the settings, installing software/widgets, network settings, passwords . . . Afterwards, I won't be concerned with data synch between the two, I'm just looking for a quick way to setup the new MB.

I keep a clone of the MBP on an external firewire drive anyway, as a backup, created using SuperDuper. Can I use that external drive to just copy the MBP clone to the new MB? Or, is there a way to connect the MBP>MB using a firewire cable?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dean

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Try plugging in your MacBook into your MBP using target mode, then your MB HD will pop up as just a firewire hard drive and then clone your MBP drive to that drive just as you would if it were an external drive. If that works, you're welcome. If not, it really soundsl like it would.

3. cube macrumors G4

Try booting the new Mac from the external drive first.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do not clone the drive, it won't work because they are 2 different models.

What you will work is to use Migration Assistant to transfer the settings and Apps over to your new computer.

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You can simply start up the MacBook and start your MacBook Pro in target disk mode, then when the MacBook asks you if you are moving from another Mac, things should be smooth from there. BTW, you'll need a firewire cable for this.

6. Bambeezer macrumors regular

Does your mbp have Leopard installed? I used time machine on my mbp to transfer to new mba. It worked flawless. Both looked exactly the same after boot.

B

7. dcains thread starter macrumors regular

What a stupid question, huh? Just got the MacBook this afternoon and used the Migration Assistant. Took about an hour, and everything went perfect and couldn't have been simpler. This is my 3rd mac, but never used the migration assistant before because I never had anything to transfer. Thanks for the replies.

Dean

8. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502