Clone Not Bootable...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GodOfThunder34, Sep 8, 2012.

1. GodOfThunder34 macrumors newbie

Aloha All,

First off, let me start by saying I'm very new to this forum...your kindness and understanding will be greatly appreciated. That said, let me move on to the issue I'm having...

My macbook (2007 I think) was in need of an upgrade, so I bought the following from Amazon:

4 gb RAM
    Battery
    transfer cable
    500 gb toshiba hdd

RAM works, battery works, transfer cable works, HDD works (kinda)

hooked up new hd with USB transfer cable, then I ran disk utility, then SuperDuper...it said it was successful...removed old HDD, installed new one...folder with question mark. Then I put old hd back in, started macbook, connected new hd w/transfer cable, ran DU, then ran CCC successfully. Before disconnecting new HDD, rebooted (holding option key) see 2 HDD to choose from, select new HDD, success. Swapped HDs again...still folder with question mark.

What else should I be doing? RAM is recognized, battery not an issue, HDD was formatted with os extended (journaled) and GUID. I want to replace the internal HDD with the new one...not have/need it hook up as an external. Your help is appreciated!

Thank you in advance

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. GodOfThunder34 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GodOfThunder34 thread starter macrumors newbie

*sigh* no good. when new HDD is installed (internal), and old HDD is connected (USB), nothing happens. when old HDD is internal, and new HDD is external, macbook starts no problem and BOTH are recognized. This is really perplexing...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you hold the Option key while booting and select to boot from the old external HDD? If so, what happened? Could you not boot that way?

6. GodOfThunder34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did hold the option key at startup...screen stayed blank. The only way to boot up at this time is with the old HDD installed. Booting this way, macbook recognizes new HDD connected externally via USB to SATA transfer cable. With this configuration (old HDD internal, new HDD external), I can start up, hold option key, be presented with choice of HDD to boot from, and boot from new HDD. Once I try to remove old HDD and replace with new one, MB doesn't boot. I've tried booting with AND without old HDD connect externally.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's really strange! What brand and model is the new HDD?

8. GodOfThunder34 thread starter macrumors newbie