Clone old iPhone on new one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Giuanniello, May 28, 2017.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

Hello everybody, got an update for my iPhone 6+, I did initialize it and restored the backup from the old one through iTunes but I had to keep using the old one and now it would bother me to have to backup the old, reinitialize the new and restore from the iTunes backup just to update, say, the WhatsApp archive because that's, I guess, the only thing whose content changed in the meantime since all the other things will be automatically updated via iCloud.

Any hint?

Thank you

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Sorry, but kind of confused with your post. What I understand (but I think there's more):

You got a new iPhone and want to transfer the settings from your old one.

In that case, turn on iCloud Backup on the old one, and let it back up. On the setup screen for the new one you should be given an option to restore from an iCloud backup somewhere in the Setup.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, OP got a new phone and restored already.

But for whatever reason OP continued to use the old phone, and in particular WhatsApp.

Nothing has really changed between OP's old phone and the new phone except the data in WhatsApp. Now OP wants to use the new phone but doesn't want to go through the hassle of backing up the old phone then restoring to the new phone just to update the data on WhatsApp.

So, OP is asking for a solution that allows him to update the data in WhatsApp on the new phone only.

Since the only solution is to do what OP does not wish to do there's been no real responses to OP's post.

4. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Well that makes no sense. :confused: OP, use the new phone for WhatsApp!

5. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors regular

Giuanniello

I will tonight reset the new one, tomorrow backup the old one and then restore it on the new one, boring and long but only way to have it all updated

Thank you

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesn't WhatsApp have its own iCloud backup/sync that could be used for this?