Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigred2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I just finally pulled the trigger and went with a refurbished macbook pro 2.4 i5 with the hires screen. I ordered a Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive to upgrade the hd and 8gb of ram. I currently have a macbook pro 2.2 c2d and I am wondering if I can clone the current drive onto the new Seagate and just pop it into the new macbook? Will I have any issues with drivers (yeah still might be thinking along the pc line as this only my second mac)? I have the newest update of snow leopard now.

While it would be nice to have a new fresh install, it will be a chore to install all my previous items (and I would have to wait until the weekend when my office is close since I cant have the down time on my machine).

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Instead of cloning it over, you'll want to boot your old Mac into target disk mode and then connect it to your new MacBook Pro and use Migration Assistant.

Bigred2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Thanks, that makes more sense. Now do I want to clone the 500gb drive from the 320 that I will be replacing, or do I just put a fresh install?

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
Having just gotten a new MBP, I'm in a similar situation. Is it possible to transfer individual files (music, pics, etc)? What is the easiest/best way to do so?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Thanks, that makes more sense. Now do I want to clone the 500gb drive from the 320 that I will be replacing, or do I just put a fresh install?

No problem. And you'll want to do a fresh install on the new hard drive, then use Migration Assistant to move over all your data.

Having just gotten a new MBP, I'm in a similar situation. Is it possible to transfer individual files (music, pics, etc)? What is the easiest/best way to do so?

If you use Target Disk Mode your old Mac as an external hard drive. That way you can dive into the folders on it and transfer over the individual files that you want from it.

Bigred2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Thanks again. The hd and new macbook pro should be here to day, and I think my office productivity is going to take a big hit today. One last thing. I have a copy of snow leopard that I probably have installed 3 times. Is it anything like windows, where I can take the key from the new machine and use that for the fresh install on the new HD?

After going through 3 batteries on my old macbook, with the last one down to 30 mins at max, the thought of almost 8 hours is killing me.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Which is better - Firewire or ethernet?

Depends on the Firewire and Ethernet port.

If you have Firewire 400 and Ethernet 100, then FW is faster.
If you have FW 400 and Gigabit Ethernet, then Ethernet is faster.
If you have FW 800 and Gigabit Ethernet, then it's up to you.
If you have FW 800 and Ethernet 100, then FW is faster.

FW 400 = 30 - 35 MB/s
FW 800 = 65 - 75 MB/s
Ethernet 100 = 11 MB/s
Gigabit Ethernet = 70 - 75 MB/s

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2009
SC
My iMac has FW400, while my MBP has FW800. What cable do I need? And do I have to buy one from Apple? Does monoprice.com have one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.