Clone old pc hd to boot camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by discofuel, Apr 25, 2010.

1. discofuel macrumors 6502

I want to clone my old pc's hard drive so I can boot it up on my iMac via Boot Camp and it will be identical to my PC - is this possible?

How would I go about creating a disk image of my PC hard drive and then loading it up in bootcamp?

Bootcamp will provide all the drivers I need but what about the old drivers installed for the PC hardware? Will they just be updated by bootcamp or will there be issues when it detects hardware changes?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The easiest way to (mostly) do what you want is to migrate your old PC to a VM using VMWare Converter or Parallels Transporter, etc... Then you will get everything from your old PC available on your Mac.

Getting it to Boot Camp is trickier since as you suspect, the drivers will be an issue. The VM converters deal with this for you but won't go to Boot Camp.

B

3. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Can't I just load up into windows and install the bootcamp drivers over the top of the other drivers?

4. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, how would I get the Windows disk image onto the bootcamp partition? Bootcamp assistant only mentions fresh installs from the DVD.

I've already set up a bootcamp partition and installed windows 7.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

6. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestion but it's a music production PC and I need to be able to run music applications which are very processor and RAM intensive.

I already have XP running via Fusion for other apps. There's no way I'll be able to run this via Fusion, gonna have to be natively via Bootcamp.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Then you'll need to plan to reinstall both XP and your apps.

Do you plan to triple boot OS X/7/XP? If so you'll also need to look into rEFIt. http://refit.sf.net.

B