Clone or Fresh install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by punchdrunk55, Feb 3, 2012.

1. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

So I tried searching and couldn't find too much recent advice so anyone that has done this recently some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I got a new Momentus XT to put in my mid 2010 MBP and I am wondering if I should create a restore disc and do a brand new fresh install on the hard drive and then transfer all my music and files manually or if I am safe Cloning it. Back when I was a windows guy I would always do a fresh install and it would usually run a little faster than before. I'm guessing Lion is a bit more stable.

Also if I clone what program so you guys suggest, carboncopy? superduper? others?

Anything else to look out for while to keep an eye out for while throwing the new drive in there?

Thanks for the help guys.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Clean install. Restore apps and files with old hard drive via the wizard at first boot. Done.

3. Bluedog54 macrumors member

Did a complete clone using Carbon Copy with no issues whatsoever to new Crucial SSD

4. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I always do a clean install since it gives me an opportunity to clean house.

5. pscraig macrumors member

Do a clean install. The Momentus XT is an advanced format drive.

But if you're going to clone it, use CCC. SuperDuper is good too but CCC has so many customizable options and the support is second to none. Be sure to update it to the latest version before use-the author releases updates regularly.

6. FunkTechNician macrumors member

wondering samething
    have a 500 momentus failing getting replacement either the 750 or an ssd wondering if clean install or clone for best performance

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If your computer is running fine, there is no need to go to all the trouble of reinstalling everything. Just use CCC to clone to the new drive.

8. P.O.711 macrumors newbie

why not just use the native app in disk utility to copy the old drive to the new one?

9. Alag28 macrumors 6502

10. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Fresh. Cloning just brings problems over, if you have any.