Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flmom2boys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I have searched, but can't seem to find an answer - I hope someone can help :)

I have a white MacBook and want to get rid of some of my programs to free up hard drive space. I have one application that I don't use anymore, by my son would like to continue to use. He recently acquired a white MacBook (both computers are running current OS), so we'd love to move this application to his computer. Problem - I can't find the original CD for the application. So, my question is this:

Can I either clone or use migration assistant to move this ONE application from my MacBook to my son's? I understand there is a possibility that the program still won't work, but we'd like to try if it's possible.

If it's not possible to clone or migrate the application by itself, does anyone have any suggestions (other than repurchasing the software)?

BTW, I will be deleting the application from my MacBook - so there is no legality issue.

I haven't posted much, so I appreciate everyone's patience if I've asked this question incorrectly or in the wrong place.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
What application? Some are more insidious than others. For most applications it should be as simple as dragging the .app file from one Applications folder to the other.

flmom2boys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
What application? Some are more insidious than others. For most applications it should be as simple as dragging the .app file from one Applications folder to the other.

It's called Toon Boom - some animation program we bought a couple years ago. At the time I had the only Mac, so my son used it on my computer. It sure would be nice to get it on his. I can't believe I've lost the original discs :(

Thanks for any help or tips you can provide!

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You can only migrate all your applications. Nothing stopping you from removing all the other applications afterwords though ;)

flmom2boys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
You can only migrate all your applications. Nothing stopping you from removing all the other applications afterwords though ;)

Thanks! If I migrate all my apps - will the ones that are a "duplicate" to what he already has be a problem? For instance, I have Office 2008, he has 2004 from school. We both have CS3. Does the migration "overwrite" existing programs on the "new" Macbook, or will there be duplicates of the applications on the HD and in the applications file? I have no problem deleting any of my apps that migrate over so as not to have legal problems, but I don't want to mess up his current apps and files that he has for his school work.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I'm fairly certain that it would not overwrite the existing applications, but you can just reinstall them afterwords if it does.

I recently upgraded from a Mac Mini 1.83GHz with iLife '08 to a Mac Mini 2.23GHz with iLife '09 and restored my applications with migration assistant. iLife '09 remains on the computer, but as I didn't install any other applications before migrating, I don't know for sure if this behavior is limited to Apple applications.

Documents and save files aren't located in the Applications folder to begin with, so you don't need to worry about overwriting them.

flmom2boys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Thanks! I'm going to go ahead and try to migrate my apps over to his computer, then just delete the other apps from his system. We're going to try cloning his Macbook first, just incase. Never tried it before, but CCC looks pretty easy to use.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.