"clone" OSX from old MBP 2008 to new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kvdv, Nov 4, 2012.

1. kvdv macrumors member

Hey guys,

What are the chances that 'cloning' or 'imaging' with SuperDuper (or another tool) from my old MBP early 2008 (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn) to the latest rMBP will actually work?

Installing a fresh OSX is easy and fast (and is the recommended way), but I'm just very worried about finding the time and energy to install all those applications, tools, utilities and countless filters, actions and plugins I gathered over the last 5 years.

Any thoughts?

Kris

2. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Do the fresh install, with the clone of your 2008 attached, and at the end of the install it will ask if you want to import your data/apps/settings/users etc form anywhere. Point it at your attached clone and it will import everything. may need a bit of tidying up afterwards. This is using "Setup Assistant". You can also do it with "Migration Assistant" later but it has some pitfalls for the unwary, so better to use SA at the end of the install.

OTOH a new computer is usually a good time to install everything fresh from scratch. My last two new computers, one worked great with SA, the other I ended up installing all from fresh. Nothing lost by trying SA or MA first.

DO NOT try cloning directly....your 2008 mac does not have drivers etc for the new one.

3. simsaladimbamba

Depends on the Mac OS X version on that 2008 Mac. If it is Mountain Lion, it will work.

But I agree, a new computer should be used to star afresh and get rid of the stuff one no longer uses.
    For the rest, as mentioned already, there is MA and SA.

Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information:

4. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

That's interesting...I didn't know that. I guess since the demise of old install DVD, the version of ML on the App Store can be kept up to date and include the latest drivers.

I nearly linked James Ponds excellent site, so glad you did.

5. kvdv thread starter macrumors member

6. jesso macrumors member

I'm interested in this too.
    Just wondering, so the Retina MBP will not even boot snow leopard from a Carbon Copy bootable drive? AT ALL?? I'm thinking about buying a Retina MBP very soon, but unfortunately it would have to be able to boot into snow leopard from time to time. I don't mind if it doesn't work so well as mountain lion, just so long as it works reasonably.
    I read somewhere that there is a way to change the Kernel on the bootable CCC drive, but that's getting a bit too techy for me.

7. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Fresh install on new computer only way to go!

8. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

The OP didn't say what OS he was on, so I don't think this thread addresses your question at all. I don't have a Retina, but a quick google suggests strongly that Snow Leopard won't run on a Retina (at least without some deep under-the-bonnet mods as you hint).

Going a bit OT but why would you need to run Snow Leopard on your Retina? I am guessing it is a Rosetta app? Are you sure there isn't an alternative/update?

9. jesso macrumors member

Thanks Mike for your reply.
    I do a fair bit of music production. At the moment I'm working in collaboration with a producer who has a protools 9 system running on snow leopard. I have an exact copy of his system, so that all our work is interchangable seamlessly enough. Otherwise, I'd have no interest in keeping snow leopard around!
    I'd like a more speedy machine, but it gets a bit tricky if I'm limited away from ivy bridge processors.
    I'd love a retina macbook pro, and there's a guy selling one close by. If I could get snow leopard running from a clone drive it would be amazing. Problem is I'm only so so when it comes to techy stuff, it might be a bit beyond me to go messing under the bonnet.

10. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Quick google of ProTools and Mountain Lion suggests at least PT 10 is compatible, so I would expect it to be OK on a Retina running ML. Is PT10 too different from PT9? (I am a digital photo type and know nothing about music software).

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

That's what time machine is for...and its free with all Mac OSX systems!! Backup the old machine, start the new one and run Migration assistant...all your apps and settings will be restored.