Clone PC drive to Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rabidz7, Nov 27, 2012.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

How would I clone my alienware's drive to a partition on my macbook pro. I have tried to clone the alienware's drive to an external hard drive then clone to my macbook pro but it is not bootable and just shows an error when I try to boot from it.:confused:

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Have you created a bootcamp or other windows partition and installed windows on it? I don't think you can transfer a cloned PC drive unless this step is taken. You can, of course, just transfer files out of there onto OS X but I don't think that's what you're trying to do.

3. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Just empty partition

I just made an empty partition on my mac and then cloned my Alienware to an external HDD and cloned the external HDD to my mac's partition.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I feel like you're going to need to install windows on the partition before you transfer the clone over, have you tried that?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

The clone drive won't have the drivers to run under the Mac hardware; I doubt it would even boot, especially if it's depending on bios. What version of windows is on the alienware? Also the windows activation will fail since the hardware will not be the same; Microsoft has code in windows that locks the installation to a specific hardware config. They will re-authorize sometimes via phone though.

6. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Windows 7

The Alienware has has windows 7. Is it possible to get drivers for it?

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yes, but you still need to install it first. An install and a cloned backup are two different things.