Clone SSD to SSD Samsung 830

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warehouse40, Apr 18, 2013.

1. warehouse40 macrumors member

I have a Samsung 830 128GB and am realizing that it's just not enough space for use as my main drive (I have a 500GB in the optical bay).

I want to get the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, can I just clone my 830 to the new 840? Not sure if it matters, but I do have Trim enabled using Trim Enabler.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yup, you should be able to clone it no problem.

I hate cloning personally, but I don't see it being an issue.

3. paul-n macrumors regular

You can use Super Duper to do this, just get your new drive connected via USB/FW, this takes some time but will work fine.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Its common practice to clone to your drive upgrade. I've done it often without issue using carbon copy cloner. Trim is irrelevant.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree!

While cloning can be convenient, it's not always "convenient" and can cause hiccups and hinder performance.

I suggest CCC or SuperDuper, you can always use the MGA or TM route too. See the guide(s) in my sig for some SSD help!

6. oldguru macrumors member

simplest way is use Time Machine, backup.
    Replace SSD
    Restore from Time Machine.

Saftest and easiest. Tried a few times already

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Haha yeah I remember you and I were on the no cloning side argument with someone a few weeks ago, I agree it causes un forseen problems that will cause you to need to start fresh anyways!

I prefer to just manually transfer the files

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

lol nice! I like to manually/freshly transfer files too.

9. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Yeah thats fine if you only have one or two apps to reinstall. Otherwise cloning is a lot cleaner, much less work and time is money. There is too much of a chance of file corruption when simply copying. Corruption you won't know about till months later.

I've done hundreds of drive updates and never had to go through the PITA of a fresh install. A fresh install, if you have the time, is good once in a great while to clean house. But I usually do that with an OS upgrade, not a drive upgrade/replacement. Too many things can go wrong.

10. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yes, just clone your stuff over. It will not run any different from a fresh install and the only performance hit you will encounter is spotlight being re-indexed after first booting up.

11. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

In my case, I've cloned my original Mac Pro install from Apple's 640GB HDD in 2009 back and forth to three different SSDs. I've installed Adobe CS3, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 on that same install and updated it as far as 10.6.8, and it's still better than fresh from Apple's hot little hands, thanks to the speed of SSD.

I've since uninstalled CS3, and I've cloned with both CCC and SuperDuper! On my 2012 MBP, I cloned the original 500GB HDD Mountain Lion install to an SSD and swapped it right in. No problems there, either.

Don't fear cloning. I think a fresh install is great if you're having problems, but if you're NOT, then it's a waste of time. That's my opinion and experience.

12. warehouse40 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for everyone's advice. I have never cloned a drive before (I did a fresh install for my 830) and I don't have the time to reinstall everything again.

It seems like Carbon Copy Cloner is the best of the bunch? I just downloaded their free trial. The new SSD should arrive in a few days.

Thanks again.