Clone, Time Machine, Mig. Asst. - Oh the choices

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac-key, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Mac-key, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I've done some research on this - just curious to get some fresh opinions.

I've got an 2009 13" MBP (see sig). I'm about to get a 2011 15" MBP

My current system runs great, even after 2 years - no slowdowns whatsoever.

If you guys were in this situation how would you transfer your information from the old one to the new one?

1) using Carbon Copy Cloner
    2) Time Machine using Migration assistant
    3) Migration assistant booting my old machine in target mode

Thank you!

2. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Option 2 or 3. Personally, I use a FW800 drive as my time machine drive, so target disk mode offers no advantage.

The reason why I recommend 2 or 3, is because it involves the transfer of applications, files, and libraries and does not replace operating system files with those from a completely different machine. But I guess you could still do an archive & install, to fix things, if you were adamant about cloning the drive.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

time machine. back up ur entire machine onto a hard drive, and then on ur new mac, restore it from the backup. all settings, and files, eeveything eeven ur ipod sync stuff will be the same on the new machine. easy and convinenant.

i jsut did it on my new 15inchh macbook pro.

5. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

6. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks guys for the responses!

yeah, cloning is probably out of the question. Not sure how smooth of a process it would be going from my 2009 13" to a new 15" anyway

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

as in transfering ur stuff using time machine to ur new macbook?

once u backed up ur old macbook onto the hard drive. restoring it from the back up on ur new macbook is easy. i have about 350gb of "crap" and it took an hour and 45mins to transfer eeverything. at first the estimate was 7 hours LOL but took a fraction of the initial estimate THANK GOD!

hope this helps!

8. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, so question...

this new MBP is going to ship with Snow Leopard - which I'm fine with. So when I get it - I'll probably reinstall the OS on the new one just so I can choose NOT to have a bunch of BS printer drivers and other things (like languages) that I don't need, or will never use. (Plus that saves me like 4GB of space)

Then since I'm coming from an 09 machine, this new one will have the iLife 2011 suite. So I'll install the new iLife... my question is, when I restore from a time machine back-up, I'll be restoring everything - apps, settings, data, etc, so will I end up with the new iLife on my machine, or will the TM restore copy over my old (09) iLife from the older computer?

does that make sense?

9. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Well iLife has been on a separate disc from the OS X installation disc. You can either ignore the iLife install after the OSX reinstall to keep your old versions or install the new ones after the migration to have the new versions.

Sorry, I never tried performing a migration/restore of older programs to see if they would write over newer ones.

10. Mac-key thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! That's exactly what I'll do