Clone XP on PC to Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mpladd, Feb 4, 2008.

1. mpladd macrumors newbie

Is there a way to clone my existing XP drive onto my boot camp partition? I don't have the XP installers with me, and was wondering if I would be able to simply clone the drive on the PC to use on the Mac. Preferably, I'd like to use it on an external drive, but based on some previous posts, it seems it may be a little too much of a hassle to accomplish.

So I am thinking I can simply create the boot camp partition, with all of the BIOS files installed, and then clone my XP on my PC's drive over to my Boot-Camp partition.

Has anyone tried or had any success with this?

-Mike

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Short answer No.

Long answer, it is possible, but with the effort of actually doing it, it'll be easier to install XP clean rather them to move it over. When moving it over, windows is not universal, if you have the same windows drive, and you happen to plug it into a different desktop or laptop, it won't boot because all the drivers, especially chipset for the motherboard, is different and it'll cause blue screens while booting.