Clone yer pet for $150K :eek:

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Butthead, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if the real Alba isn't attracted to you, then....

I'd just clone her ass. That way she could never see me, and never be unattracted to me.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I could possibly see doing this with a champion race horse. But otherwise what would be the point, the animal will have a different personality. It is not like identical twins are exactly the same, neither are animals. All you are doing is making a twin, neural transfers still are not possible.

Unless things have changed if bowser is fifteen when cloned the clone will reach fifteen really quickly.

4. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Re-pet from the 6th day movie...not so distant future...hmmm

5. cazlar macrumors 6502

A couple of comments:

as the article notes. this is one of the people related to the S. Korean group that caused a major scandal when their papers were found to be very fraudulent. So I assume he's been ostracised from the scientific community and must now sell his skills to the public. The worst thing is that at 150k per animal, and lots of wealthy/stupid pet owners, he'll probably get very rich doing it...

In regards to clones aging faster - that's not strictly true, it's more that they are born with "hidden" errors that might predispose them to a whole range of diseases/problems. Here's a quick and dirty genetics lesson, sorry for any inaccuracies: What happens during the cloning step is that they basically replace the nucleus of an egg with one taken from the donor cell, and zap it with electricity. That's perhaps an oversimplification - but really, there's a whole lot of magic going on in that "black box" step that we are slowly trying to work out. Specifically, the cell re-programs its epigenome (look up epigenetics on wikipedia for details). Unfortunately, this reprogramming does not entirely occur as it does during normal development. They are getting closer to providing the right conditions etc, and learning which genes are essential during this stage, but until the entire process is understood it is still fairly hit and miss that you will get a viable embryo, and even one that is viable will probably have some epigenetic marks stuffed up that will only present later (ie short life span, cancer, etc). In fact, I'm constantly amazed that the technique works at all and that they can even produce viable embryos.