Cloned Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacYoukai, Aug 29, 2013.

1. MacYoukai macrumors newbie

I recently made a clone of my hard drive. The clone boots fine and everything "looks" to be in place, however, the disk usage space is slightly different. The clone has 311.94gb used, while the original drive has 312.55gb used. So there is about a 90mb difference in disk space used.
    I keep repairing permissions, but new permissions errors appear when I verify them again after doing so. These are mostly in obscure system folders relating to Safari, Java, and Remote Desktop Client.
    Should I be concerned about the difference in size? Are cloned hard drives ever EXACTLY the same? Are the differences being caused by write protected logs and other junk that is probably not necessary for the system to run?
    My main concern is that these missing files or whatever may cause issues with the system or other applications as time goes on.

2. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I used SuperDuper! to clone a hard drive partition last week and remember seeing a standard dialog that stated some Apple files will not be copied and are unnecessary for the clone to work. Perhaps that's the small difference you're seeing in file size.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A cloned drive may not be the same size exactly as the original, for several reasons. For more information, click here.

As for the permissions repair, if repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are fine. A clone does not move over certain cache and swap files and that accounts for the difference.

5. MacYoukai thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I was thinking it must have been stuff like that, but I was very paranoid that there was some sort of issue.
    Thank you for the input, information, and advice. It helps a lot!