Cloned Macbook hard drive in Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmarcus178, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mmarcus178 macrumors newbie

hey all,

First post here. I'm switching from a macbook (unibody white) to a macbook pro (2009 gen, 9400m) and had a question. Can I just pop my 320gb hitachi hard drive from my macbook into the pro? It's got all of my files, etc. on it. But I'm a recent switcher from windows and not sure if the system files on my hitachi will run on the Pro.

Any thoughts?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Provided the OS is up to date with what is required for the MBP, it shouldn't be a problem.

3. mmarcus178 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks.

Gotta love the simplicity of that. Imagine trying to swap hard drives between different windows notebooks.

4. justn macrumors member

justn

I had to re-install going from an old 2007 white MacBook to the new 2010 MacBook Pro. Things may be a bit more similar with the uni-body white MacBook to the MacBook Pro. All you can do is give it a try, and if it doesn't boot you'll have to re-install (That is the reason I like to have a data partition and a system partition, I don't have to copy back all my data). Good luck!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's due GPU drivers. As OP's both Macs have 9400M, it shouldn't be a problem though I still recommend clean install + data transfer

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. That is exactly what I did. Boot up your new machine and insert the OS X install DVD and then shut down. Install your old HD then boot from DVD to install the version of 10.6 for the new MBPs. After install is complete repair permission. Reboot, eject DVD. Good to go.

7. mmarcus178 thread starter macrumors newbie