Cloned SSD, no network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MisterSensitive, Jun 19, 2016.

1. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

Hi,

MY son has a 2009ish MBP w Core Duo processor. I cloned his HD to an SSD. He swapped the SSD in as the bootable drive. Everything works fine, except he can't access the Internet. He can connect to his home wifi, but can't get to web pages, even though every other device works on it.

He lives a state away, so I'm trying to help him long distance. I've asked him to reboot his router, try connecting to another wifi (public library?), ping a known pingable address (8.8.8.8?). I suspect, since the clone drive has a different name, there's something in the connectivity that's looking for an absolute path, while that path has the old hard drive name as its first component.

Any other ideas on what he should try?

Thanks!

2. treekram macrumors 6502a

The most obvious thing that comes to mind is the DNS server setting. If you use 8.8.8.8 for DNS at home and that setting was cloned, that that should be OK. Also, if you setup a network proxy but there is not one where your son is, that could be an issue. I don't know all the implications of the computer name but I do know that the biggest issue is when you clone the disk and you have 2 computers with the same name on the same network. However, when this happened to me, I don't recall www access being an issue.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Do a tracert to a known good address, where does it stop/timeout? Is it only on WiFi he has the issue? - if it is then he possibly disturbed a cable or something inside during the swapout...

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Can he hook up the MacBook to the router using an ETHERNET cable, and establish a connection that way?

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Can he connect the old drive via usb and start up from it to see if the problem exists?

6. MisterSensitive thread starter macrumors regular

Brian,

Brilliant idea! I'll get him to try that.