Cloning 1 hard drive to 2 differnet hard drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macavoa, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Macavoa macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I have a theoretical question.

The 1 TB Hard Drive in my late 2011 MBP is starting to go bad (I think, computer is running very slow for some reason, and processor and memory are not taxed at all (both running under 10%)), and I am wanting to clone my 1TB hard drive.

Now the question I have is this; I have windows 7 installed via boot camp, and I want to know if it would be possible to clone my Hard Drive in such a way that I copy my OSX partition to 1 hard drive and copy my Boot Camp Partition to another hard drive ans still have both working?

I want to remove my DVD/CD drive and put in another 1 TB hard drive as I no longer use CDs/DVDs and I want to have OSX on one hard drive and Windows on another. Would I be able to clone my current hard drive to the two different hard drives without having to reinstall windows vie boot camp?

I hope my question is clear, and then you in advance for your help!

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I see that nobody answered, and I am not technical enough to help.

But just enough to think this is looking for lots of trouble. Cloning across two drives - yikes! Why not delete the windows drive, and then reinstall it - on whichever drive you want? (vs cloning)