Cloning 7 not as easy as I'd hoped

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by analogkid, May 1, 2011.

1. analogkid macrumors regular

I will continue to research this issue, but I am about a week in to a project I thought would be easy. I have a 2010 Mini Server. On my Mini I have one drive for OSX and the other for Windows. I bought a SSD which I want to install internally as the Mac system disk, using the other drive for data.
    The issue I am having a problem with is Cloning a bootable image of my Windows 7 drive to an external firewire drive.
    Winclone won't do it as for some reason it sees the partition as negative space. I have tried both a 3tb and 2tb.
    Windows7 image restore seems to default to wanting to burn to the C drive with no way to target my external.

Any comments will be helpful... in the meantime I will search more and try a few other approaches. Thank you.

btw, I do have Macfuse and Tuxera NTFS installed and activated, if it makes any difference.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

What are you planning to do with the clone?

Is it just to migrate from the internal HDD to the SSD? Will you keep the size the same or make it smaller on the SSD?

B

3. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I never had any luck with imaging a Win partition either. I usually end up spending more time with the image copy and restore process than it would take to just do a clean install of everything. I've also encountered errors with the restore process. Now, I don't even bother wasting time with it - I just do a clean install of Win and all the apps and data.

It doesn't work anything like Time Machine :(

4. analogkid, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011

analogkid thread starter macrumors regular

I would like to boot off the external when I have my mini in the livingroom connected to the TV, otherwise in the studio I want to run OSX on the SSD. In this case I wish to go from the 500GB to a 2TB drive.

You make a lot of sense. Maybe in this case I'll keep my second internal ntfs bootcamp install... if it ain't broke maybe I shouldn't fix it, but it would be nice to accomplish what I set out to do. Oh well...

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can't boot Windows from the external, unless it's in a VM, so the exercise is unlikely to be fruitful.

B

6. analogkid thread starter macrumors regular